A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

DSG - how you all feel about the company? - JC

Posted: Feb 25, 2011

Any DSG'ers out there? Just curious how you all feel about the company. I know that the whole MT field is going down the tubes, but if you work there, are you about as happy as one could be in this field these days? Do you ever wonder if the grass is greener somewhere else?

Don't have enough work especially in the morning. Trying to find another job with work in the - mqmt

[ In Reply To ..]
in looking at the job boards, most companies want 2nd and 3rd shifts and there are no daytime positions open. Well if the MTSOs are having problems filling those shifts, maybe they should PAY more and see if MTs would want employment with them. 4 cpl does not a big paycheck make!

I recommend them - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
Support is excellent, direct pay never late, good benefits available, incentives, and they are fair.

Perfect? Of course not. Too much ASR. But ASR is here to stay, to some degree, and you *can* become more proficient to help bridge the gap between straight and ASR earnings.

If you do your job - they notice.

DSG - me2

[ In Reply To ..]
While I agree with the above post, pay on time, etc., at least on my accounts, some of the WORST quality dictation I have had the displeasure of putting up with in 25 years in the business. I have been told this is due to re-recording. Also NO holiday pay or overtime pay. That's right, even if you work 60 hours a work (when there is enough work), there is no OT pay with DSG.

It is against the Law not to pay overtime if you are an Employee - FYI

[ In Reply To ..]

If you are an Independent Contractor, of course there is no overtime paid. 

However, if you are an Employee, it is against the law not to pay for hours worked over 40 hours per week.

From the Department of Labor website: 

"An employer who requires or permits an employee to work overtime is generally required to pay the employee premium pay for such overtime work.  Employees covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) must receive overtime pay for hours worked in excess of 40 in a workweek of at least one and one-half times their regular rates of pay."

"Overtime Pay May Not Be Waived: The overtime requirement may not be waived by agreement between the employer and employees. An agreement that only 8 hours a day or only 40 hours a week will be counted as working time also fails the test of FLSA compliance. An announcement by the employer that no overtime work will be permitted, or that overtime work will not be paid for unless authorized in advance, also will not impair the employee's right to compensation for compensable overtime hours that are worked."

What is meant by “requires or permits” is that the employer does not specifically have to “approve” overtime.  If the employer is aware that an employee is working more than 40 hours per week (whether authorized or not), overtime MUST be paid.  The employer can reprimand the employee for working overtime without authorization, but they cannot refuse to pay them for the hours worked at time and a half.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs23.pdf

someone should tell... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
STS about that...or that about STS.
Think About This... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Before you do this, just think long and hard about it. Let's say you have a bad production day and want to make it up on a day off, or later that day, but you already have your 40 hours in. Guess what? You are going to need approval because now they'd be paying you OT. And guess what? You're not going to get approval because YOU had a bad day.

I think they should have to pay OT when they REQUIRE you to work more than 40 hours, though.

I personally would be ticked off if everyone demanded OT, because now my throat is cut and I can't work an extra few hours for a few extra dollars or work extra to bring myself up to par if I've had a bad pay period, or if I want to go the extra mile for incentives.

Just asking you to think. Other companies have done this, and now nobody gets to work extra unless it's requested/approved by the company.
Exactly - ME
[ In Reply To ..]
Pick your battles carefully. And think about all the people out there *looking* for work. To me it would be better to have too much work than not enough.

I also think of it as a team thing: Unless you are being manipulated unfairly and regularly, pitching in when loads are high is a team effort - and is noticed.
Let's Not Cut Our Own Throats - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I used to work for a company where everyone (the MTs) made such a stink about getting OT when they had a bad production day/period, that they cut EVERYONE'S throats, not just their own. Let's not do this here. Right now, this company is flexible about us hopping on on our off-time, let's not ruin that.

And to ME2, I agree about the horrible sound quality at times, but it still is nice to know that I can stay later that day, or go on the next day, without "permission."
sounds like helter skelter to me and grab from another's livelihood - how you spell s-u-c-k-y?NM
[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck y'all.
You are supposed to have permission so you don't cut into - someone else lines. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Agree - Old MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with that to a point, as we're all just trying to get by with our lines due to poor dictators and poor audio.

What totally should NOT be allowed, is those people who just work when they feel like it, then jump on at the end, only to take away work from those of us who busted our butts to be where we're supposed to be when we're supposed to be there.

If you didn't work your schedule without prior approval to not work it, then you should not be allowed to come in and hog everything. If you had a rough production week but gave it your all, then I say, each man for himself if you want to try to get some extra lines in.
I disagree. I was of the understanding that you work your schedule and if - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
they have a backlog, you get permission to jump on. You don't just jump on whenever you want & take other people's lines. Maybe that's part of the problem, some are jumping on whenever they want.
I do believe you misread Old MT's post. she said what you are saying - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
too late. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
truthfully? even filling in for another IF 1 MINUTE OVER 40 HRS it to be compnsated extra - it is the law and the Chistian thing to do is abid
[ In Reply To ..]
end of discussion for me.
Please spare us another Christian lecture - ME
[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck to you if you think this type of rigidity (even filling in for another IF 1 MINUTE OVER 40 HRS it to be compnsated extra) will serve you well in this industry, or any for that matter.

And if I had a nickel for every time Ive witnessed "Christians" behaving badly lecturing the rest of us, well I'd be downright rich.
LOL...tell it to my boss. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
%
OT law - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I have actually been instructed to make sure that I don't put more than 40 hours on my timesheet even though I have worked over 40 hours in a week. This always bothers me because I know for a fact that with DocQScribe, the company knows EXACTLY how many hours you have on the system, so they are falsifying records and instructing employees to do the same to get out of paying OT. The worst part is, they can then fire you for submitting a falsified invoice if they really wanted to. Makes me very nervous...
Invoice vs Timesheet - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
ICs send invoices, employees send timesheets. So, an employee isn't sending any kind of an invoice.
OT Talk - Tired MT
[ In Reply To ..]
This comes back to one thing--unless "they" are demanding you work overtime, they don't have to pay OT. The way I see it, you are permitted to "go home," but you decide to stay, so that's your choice, your decision.

That's the part that's going to get ruined if we make a big thing of this OT pay. Our "choice" to earn a few extra bucks is going to get ruined.
OT Talk - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
To MT above - I did not mean to put "invoice." I am a FT employee, so I send in a timesheet, therefore should be paid OT.

Tired MT, I agree with you somewhat. One thing that bothers me though, is that eventually someone will take this to the labor board. This happened to a company I worked for many years ago, and by the time it was taken to the labor board and a class action suit filed, that company owed so much back pay to their employees that it actually put them out of business. I wish DSG would just do the right thing and pay OT when it is owed to avoid potential problems. It is after all the law that OT must be paid whether the employer "requires or permits" employees to work OT. See above post outlining OT law.
I See What You're Saying - Tired MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I see what you're saying, let's just have them do it right now to avoid a huge problem where they spend money on lawsuits. It would appear a lot of us are trying to get people to not do that, but there are always those who will and we will all suffer.

I'm just biding my time in this business anyway--it's all the pits. It would only get worse if I can't get some extra in, though. I'm too young to retire, but I do have my ears and eyes open for other fields other than MT. Probably if they would just pay our regular rate for ASR, I'd be more willing to stay in the business. That ASR stuff put me over the edge.

Are they employee only now? - dmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for them years ago as IC, liked the people and the original account I was on, some difficult dictators but great sound quality, but then started getting put on accounts, like you say, with the most HORRID sound quality. They told me it was on my end, but I doubted about that since my other account was crystal clear, so the re-recording must have been why. Do they only have employee status now? I did like the people there and was thinking about them again.
Still Have IC - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
They still have IC. Don't hold your breath regarding some of the sound quality, though, and be aware that it's very heavy with ASR and ESLs, at least on my accounts, which are pretty much strictly acute care. I do believe they still have some clinic accounts.

I'm happy with DSG - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

DSG - Me2

[ In Reply To ..]
There have been many times when I have been over and above my production goals and worked all of my hours, when there have been accounts backed up on the weekends and I have been asked to work and have done so, with the acknowledgement of the supervisors that I would be over 40 hours in a week, and I have never been paid OT. I also do not appreciate being required to work on holidays when there is no holiday pay, though apparently this is not against the law like OT is. When I have questioned the OT policy in the past I have been told they don't have to pay OT since I am being paid an incentive if I go over the required lines for the pay period, and that I am working the OT voluntarily. I have told them that they are not correct, but have been hesistant to bring it to the labor board for the same reasons as the other posters.

Yes.... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It would be nice to be compensated for OT, have holiday pay, 30 PTO days off, etc. I'd like to have a $2000 bonus for Christmas and the same for MT week. Also, I'd like them to pay 100% for all insurance too.

MT jobs (with decent pay) are not as easily obtained as they were a couple years ago and I'm assuming you are aware of that or you would be working for another company so you can receive better pay, OT, holidays, etc. I am going to do what I can in order to keep the client happy so I have a job.
Yes.... - Me2
[ In Reply To ..]
Right...shame on me for expecting a job with decent pay AND having the audacity to expect to be compensated for working OT and holidays, especially when I am an employee who works my scheduled hours, produces well above the minimum and always works extra when my accounts are behind. Your other comments about a $2000 bonus and 100% paid insurance are just foolish.

To Me2 - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Me2- When you have Me2 under someone else's "I'm Happy" type thing, you sound like you're happy. But then we open the note, and you're not happy and want to cause us all to lose the opportunity to make up lines and go for our incentives.

Anyway, I'm glad you haven't taken this to the labor board.

Similar Messages:

At Your Company, Are Your Company-observed Holidays Paid By The Company?
Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?     Thank you! :) ...

Man, I Feel For New MTs...
Aug 07, 2010

I was just looking at the Word Help board - I can't imagine working at home by myself, having no one to ask for help.  When I first started, you could turn to the person next to you and get some help.  They've really been thrown to the wolves.  Good luck, all!! ...

Feel The Same Way
Sep 10, 2010

as the poster below.  I think the lag in our computers now with the 6.1 is either because the ILPs are "observing" while we are typing or there is a spyware included to watch our keystrokes and screens.  Getting paranoid. ...

Does Anyone Else Feel This Way? (sm)
Aug 26, 2011

Today is payday. Never knowing what it will be until I check my bank account, I get this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach while logging on to my bank's website. It's sort of like butterflies, but not as pleasant a feeling!  This morning, I took a look at the last five deposits. Most are within 20 or 30 dollars, but they all are getting progressively smaller, smaller, smaller. Compared to two years ago, it's literally half of what I was making. Egads! Soon I will be p ...

Does Anyone Else Feel Like This?
Jan 11, 2012

I know a lot of you work for companies right now that do not have enough work and I can truly empathize with you, have been in that boat as well. But the company I work for begs us to do overtime every single solitary weekend, aka Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I have been in this field for almost 30 years and quite honestly I am burnt out. I put in my 40 hours a week and feel the rest of my life is my time. I have neck problems and back problems as well, but still manage to do my best and am also ...

I Just Have To Say That I Feel Sorry For Those MTs
Apr 22, 2012

Who are actually listening and believing this BS that WMJ is spewing out. She or he does NOT have your best interest at heart. If you choose to do the sick out I can guarantee that you will not have a job when you try to log back in on the 2nd. We work in an at will employment job. They can lock you out and not even give you a reason for letting you go. We do not have a union which would protect you in a strike situation though I for one still would not want to be in a union because they ar ...

Ever Feel Like
Aug 14, 2012

The so called random dictation is designed to slow you down, makes me mad when I just want to get the work done without constanting stopping and starting, rearranging the formats, etc.    ...

Do You Ever Feel Like
Oct 18, 2012

a note and say, "Hey, the reason you have having to s-p-e-l-l these simple words now is because your chart notes are being done in India."   All part of the plot to push for off-shoring the work because there are "so few qualified US MTs."  ...

To MTs Over 50 Who Feel They Won't Be Able
Dec 03, 2012

they'd be too old to start at the bottom and no one will hire them, consider getting your real estate license.  It only takes 2 months, and this happens to be an industry where it seems age actually is of benefit!  Trust me, I've done it and now an apartment manager in a small complex where I pay no rent and no utilities.  Try it if interested, you might like it :) ...

Ever Feel Like You Can Never Do Anything Right.
Dec 22, 2012

I made 99.125 on my audit this month.  Why do i feel this company still considers this failing. One thing is for sure, I cannolt wait until I get another job. ...

Anyone Feel Like Me?
Aug 20, 2013

I am so sick and tired of this work, this company, and really hate sitting down here every day for the past 20 years.  It gets harder each day with every new rule, policy or threat we receive.  Whether there is work or not, I feel the same way - I am so burned out on this garbage.  I am still far from retirement and really trying to find a way to refocus myself to concentrate on this mind-numbing drivel that ASR puts out.  I am so sick and tired of putting in commas, taking o ...

How Are You All Going To Feel
Dec 03, 2013

when fast food workers are making $10/hour? ...

Sometimes I Feel Like...........
Dec 11, 2013

one of those bears on a track in the carnival shooting games.  Shoot-ding-turn, shoot-ding-turn......... ...

How I Feel...
Apr 22, 2014

Today I could so easily throw my computer and reference books in a pile in the middle of my office, light a match, and walk away. ...

Anyone Else Feel This Way.....
Aug 29, 2014

I started my job at the high school cafeteria and believe it or not, love it.  Min wage never felt so good.  I'm still doing MT at night, but have been having a *forget this* attitude.  Plus, with the work load at my MTSO being so friggin' slow, it just depletes my motivation.  If we really didn't need the money, I would up and quit.  {{sigh}} ...

What Must That Feel Like?
Nov 21, 2014

I'm going to preface this by asking that there be NO judgment ... no snarky "get out of the field then" or "don't let the door hitcha in the arse" comments.  I'm just having one of "those" days where I feel absolutely horrible about the work that I do.  Tomorrow, I will be fine again and we all have these days from time to time.  I'm getting ALL crappy reports today.  I can't seem to understand ANY of the dictation I've gotten, I've barely ...

Aah, I Feel For It Again
Feb 24, 2015

The old bait and switch .  Ask you to work OT and then give you the worst of the worst.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  I sure could use the extra money but don't want to go through the "crap" to earn it. ...

I Feel REALLY Dumb Asking This But
Nov 15, 2009

I have a doc describing a cough and I can not come up with the correct spelling on the end of the word.  It is a rattley cough, as in rattle-like sounding cough.  It is not rattling, but rattle-e.  Some days, the brain is just not functioning.  Duh!  Sorry. ...

Why Do I Feel More And More Incompetent?
Nov 24, 2009

I have 20+ years' experience as an MT, 8 more years as a nurse before that, consider myself a reasonably intelligent person, yet I feel like I'm struggling more and more just to do this job.  I had the most horrific dictators today with the worst ASR, one after the other.  It felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders as I slumped in my chair trying to get the jobs done.  I just could not understand those Indian doctors.  Stutterers.  Clanging backgr ...

I Feel Sicker
Jan 18, 2010

before I went into my PCP's office today.  The NP who saw me walked in with her laptop and proceeded to enter everything in using drop-down menus and shortcut phrases, saying how GREAT it is to not have to dictate any more.  She said the program wasn't perfect and didn't have every drop down thing she needed, but she could type in phrases herself whenever needed.  Said the docs are all on board and loving it:(:(:(  I guess this is what' ...

I Feel Like I Cannot Do Anything Correct
Jul 03, 2010

After 25 years all the sudden I feel like I cannot do anything right. MQ must be trying to get rid of experienced MTs. ...

How Some Docs Feel About EMR.........
Apr 03, 2010

Had an appt with my doctor; she was slowly typing as we talked.  I asked her how she liked typing her own records.  She said she hates it but has no choice as it is required now.  Apparently some companies are telling the hospitals that EMR is required by law.  That isn't exactly true, and the companies (such as MQ) do a lot of fibbing and twisting of the truth.  While it will be required that medical records be electronic....HOW they get there is where they are fib ...

Anyone New Feel Like They Were Just Abandoned?
Jun 17, 2010

Anyone new to MQ that feels like they were just thrown out and then forgotten?  I just started last week and other than the SR and docqscribe training they really don't tell much.  I was never even told how to clock in and out until a week into working and that was because I asked.  I am here because my old job, which I loved, was outsourced to MQ.  I did clinic notes for so long for the same doctor that I feel like I am just starting out and it is scary.   Any ...

MD-IT - This Is How I Feel Today
Aug 05, 2010

Hi!  This is how I feel today.  Sometimes my account (not MD-IT) has so much work we are chasing our tail.  However, this week has been really slow so I am looking for a new full-time home and I'll stay with the old place part-time.  To that end,  any word on MD-IT?  I just would like to sit down at X o'clock and put in 7-8 hours and be done.  I really hate babysitting the computer for a dang job???!!!   In here three hours already and only have 200 lines  Thanks for hear ...

Does Anybody Else Feel This Way? Rant
Sep 27, 2010

I used to love transcription. I felt competent and like I was doing a service to patients by making their medical records into an understandible format. When I was working oftentimes I would be "in the zone" and time would pass by quickly. I felt proficient. After working for MedQuist for 6-odd years, I'm sick of them, sick of transcription in general. I dread going to work every day and yes  I am looking for another job but being over 50 and having done nothing but work at home in tr ...

Feel Like I Have Looked EVERYWHERE
Oct 19, 2010

Where to look now?  I feel like I have looked everywhere possible.  I applied to a place in Minnesota.  They had told me, "After we review all of your tests (which I passed) and your application, along with your online interview, you will be contacted."  I have not yet been contacted, and that was on 9/22.  I have emailed them and everything, and they have not responded.  I was thinking about calling them, but should I even bother? Also, I had advice from my mother ...

Ever Feel Like They Just Want You To Fail?
Nov 19, 2010

It just seems like we cannot win with this company. Between the 5% QA, bottom of the barrel dictators, and unrealistic expectations I just want to pull my hair out. ...

Feel Like I Should Know This--neurosurgery
Oct 14, 2011

Left s/l *CARE-dee-oh-nal* craniotomy for an anterior skull base approach for microsurgical resection of a complex 2-cm suprasellar mass. Thanks in advance. ...

I Feel Cheated
Dec 10, 2011

I'm on a huge account with a huge company (the one that is taking over the planet right now).  Most of the time I get editing and I have to really scramble to make enough, because of course they pay less than half what I used to get for straight transcription.   But this morning I got lucky and pulled up a discharge that was straight transcription that was 21 minutes long.  I finished the whole thing and tried to upload it.  EditScript gave me a message that it was not ...

I Feel So Blessed.
May 09, 2012

I have been having a really rough time lately, and I actually was in tears today because of the stress I have been under and I just really couldn't hold it in anymore.  I am an MT and have  been for the last 7 years and like the 99% of the MTs out there, I have been so tired of all the stuff we all have to put up with with declining wages and declining quality of dictators, so I decided to start coding school with Andrews.  I'm almost finished! Only a few more months of ...