A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

$10 a month for using co.'s server? - Serious

Posted: Apr 14, 2010

Just received a job offer as an IC...the pay is pretty low at 0.575 cpl (increasing to 0.6 once off QA).  Will probably accept this job as a 2nd part-time job...have another paying 0.07 cpl, but the owner doesn't pay on time and doesn't respond to my e-mails about it, either.

Has anyone ever heard of having to pay $10 a month to the company for use of their server in order to download .wav files though?  That seemed a little odd to me.

I am happy to discuss via private message, too.

Oh for crying out loud - MT Bottle

[ In Reply To ..]
Why don't you just pay them to do their work! This is ridiculous. Accepting this kind of garbage just sets the bar even lower for everyone else.

My point exactly - Serious

[ In Reply To ..]
Got any suggestions on how I can "tactfully" accept the offer but decline the monthly fee?!

don't accept any of that!!! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
the cpl is ridiculous at both jobs.

paying for the server is even worse!
Sigh... - Serious
[ In Reply To ..]
I know the pay is ridiculous...as a newbie out there, it is SO difficult these days to even get your foot in the door. I DID e-mail and ask them to waive the $10 fee as it didn't seem ethical or within the realm of expectations for an IC to incur. The pay is already bad enough, but to have $10 already lopped off is ridiculous. How do you negotiate a better line rate when you have no experience?

Serious - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Why you would accept an offer from a company that has shown itself to be prone to exploiting MTs is beyond me, but that is your own business. However, I would suggest that if you do accept it, you GET IN WRITING all terms before putting one finger on the keyboard.
Why? Because my family needs the money, that's why... - Serious
[ In Reply To ..]
If I had other options or offers, believe you me, I would not be giving this offer another look. But what would YOU do when you've already invested a ton of $ in schooling, office equipment, RMT credentialing, etc and don't have anything to show for it? I'm trying to look at this offer as a step in the door rather than a final destination.

My family needs a small source of extra income, and I look at it as better than getting nothing.

And that's, unfortunately, why...
All the more reason not to work for those turds. - Tribble
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I wish people would let others know before they waste the money - tiredoftyping
[ In Reply To ..]
on schooling, etc, about how this field has become. I went to the head office of they community college I attend and told them that basically they were stealing money from the people enrolled in their transcription classes and that if they were going to offer the classes that they needed to be upfront with their students, i.e. it is hard to get started right out of school, the pay has drastically went down, most companies off-shore and over hire, and that they had better be ready to do more VR than straight typing. They laughed at me and told me they have done studies that shows that transcription careers are very profitable and plentiful!
Agree completely - - Serious
[ In Reply To ..]
This is exactly what I was led to believe when I enrolled in M-TEC in July 2008. Thought I'd found the perfect opportunity! And while I did great, got a terrific GPA, have a 4-year degree from a highly regarded university in public relations/communications, it is not making one iota of difference in finding a suitable job!
tiredoftyping - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Of course they are going to say that--they have a product to sell. Potential students need to do what is called "due diligence"--really study the market, call companies and see if they are hiring, talk to people already in the profession, etc. The onus is not on the world to tell potential students; it is the responsibility of the potential student (of anything, whether it is MTing or neurosurgery) to do what the stock market calls "feasibility studies." Talk to someone other than the school that is trying to get you to enroll. Read financial publications. Surely, anyone who followed the MedQuist debacle with the SEC would have lots of (negative) information about the MT world. Yes, the pay has drastically gone down. That is evident from this board. Just saying that people need to be proactive for themselves. I advise anyone who comes to me with questions NOT to go into MT and I have been doing it for a very long time.
Serious - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate the situation you are in. I have found, in my own life, that sometimes you just have to cut your losses. I don't think I would go with this company because they seem sleezy from the get-go. In the end, they would not give what I want/need to support my family. I hope you can find something better, I really do.
Nick, all companies exploit MTs in one way or another. - Just my 2 cents
[ In Reply To ..]
Some people get paid good and some do not. This is one of the not situations but if Serious needs a job, she needs a job. If I needed a job I would take it also, just to get her foot in the door and money for her family. It might work out for her and it might not.

However, Serious I would try to negotiate something about charging you $10 for your downloading/uploading because that is RIDICULOUS.

Good luck to you Serious!
Thanks - Serious
[ In Reply To ..]
I just sent out the letter turning down her offer...I didn't burn bridges, but I DID hint that if she was willing to waive (again) the server fee, I would certainly reconsider. Also told her that the cpl rate (.0575) was at the low end of the industry scale, particularly for IC status. Also told her that the server fee was something she could pass along to her clients in their fee without actually stating it was a server fee. And, I told her that her company is also able to claim the independent server fee as a tax deduction, so it really doesn't make me feel better knowing I can use the $120/year as a tax deduction!

Here's to hoping for bigger and better things. I'm currently doing part-time MT IC work at .07 cpl, but the work isn't steady and the owner has a notorious history (on the MTStars archives) for not paying her ICs in a timely manner. That is already apparent in my case, and I have only been working for her for about 7 weeks now...

Thanks for all of the advice. As a newbie, it really gave me food for thought.
Justmy2cents - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
Another reason to not take jobs where you have to pay to use the server is that if you do, you are actually enabling the company's bad behavior and setting a bad precedent for other MTs.

I would rather transport TAPES back and forth, than - pay for some weenie company"s server!

[ In Reply To ..]
No, MT-company-that-charges-for-server-use, I will NOT pay for that!

Instead, why don't YOU pay ME for all that overtime I work every week?

My decision - Serious

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the great discussion today, fellow MTs...I've made the decision, and I'm not going to accept the position. Will tell her that I cannot pay her a monthly fee to obtain my own work from the company's server (let alone the puny cpl rate). This is ridiculous!
Sounds like the company I work for but..... - 2ndopinion
[ In Reply To ..]
I make A LOT more per line so I do not care much about a rental fee. It is a little irritating but I am going to write it off on my taxes. If I were offered what they offered you, there is NO way I would accept the job.
Experience? - Serious
[ In Reply To ..]
Do you have many years of experience? Just curious...If you are comfortable with the idea, would you mind sending me a private e-mail and letting me know what it actually IS possible to make? If the cpl rate had been decent, I would've accepted the server fee, too, but this just really isn't acceptable!!
Good girl! Besides, THEY should be able to deduct - server costs from their OWN taxes.
[ In Reply To ..]
Meanwhile, you are better than that. It's more lucrative in the long run to hold out for a job where you can make enough to feed your family, and STAY there, than to hop from poorly-paying job to poorly-paying job.

Good luck! I think you'll do just fine.
:) - Serious
[ In Reply To ..]
:)
Serious - CONGRATULATIONS! - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
I think your decision shows wisdom and integrity. And I do think there will be something better out there for you.

Serious - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Not only no, but h$$l no!! I would tell them where they could go (and not to Miami, either). This is absolute exploitation. Are they going to charge you for the air you breathe while working for them, too?

Do you even make minimum wage after paying...sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
your expenses and self-employment, SS and Medicare taxes, not to mention health insurance etc.? It is said that as an IC you incur 20-25% of your rate in those expenses. If you are making 5.75 to 6 cents a line, your true line rate is about 3.5 to 4 cents a line. They are paying you slave wages. As an IC, any company should be paying you 2 cents a line more than what an employee would make not less. Do they also require you to work a schedule? If so, you are not an IC and are being taken advantage of again so says the IRS. As far as charging to use their server, NO WAY. Never pay a company anything to work for them.

Sounds suspiciously like Fastchart to me. Is it? - Varmint_hunting

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Never heard of it. This field is getting really - insane.

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

It's not Fastchart, but look at this -- - Serious

[ In Reply To ..]
I replied and told the company I was having a tough time accepting their "$10 monthly server access fee."

This was their response:

"Company X is not able to cover any of your business expenses for you; however, as an IC you can deduct business expenses, such as computers, phone charges, association dues, office furniture, reference materials and also the $10 monthly server access fee. Company X contracts with another company (Company Z) for access of the secure, HIPAA compliant file storage and transfer services, and so in order for you to have access to your work, the monthly fee is applicable. I suppose it could be compared to paying for the gas to put in your car if you were to have to drive to and from work each day."

Thoughts on how to respond?

You cant deduct them if you cant afford to dedicate - an entire room of your home as an office.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
It's a Loft - wonder if that counts - Serious
[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder whether a loft area upstairs counts as a "room." It's enclosed on 3 sides including a window, but no door. Wonder if that counts as a deduction...

Tell them - me

[ In Reply To ..]
providing the work to you is THEIR job, such as providing the power if you were to work in house.

There are WAY better options for newbies out there. This would be totally wasing your time. Even MQ will hire newbies!

Thats a new ripoff on me! And how CHEAP, too, at - only .575 cpl. PLEASE dont accept this. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

OHHH my GAWD. Do NOT accept this bull - .

[ In Reply To ..]
Unbelievable gall. They just keep asking for more and more and lower and lower wages (those wages quote I would never ever ever accept. That is why they continue to go lower. It is accepted.

I will not pay for software license use, long-distance (their client, they should pay) I will not buy equipment that will only be utilized on their system, like expensive Lanier stuff (200 and $300 things, $175 to 250 Lanier pedal. What if you don't like the company or there is no match. You are stuck. I will not pay $500 for their PCs (I have 1) This is just a ploy to buy their equipment interest free. They will return $500 in 6 months, what is you leave before 6 months. Bad deal. This is Silent Type.

Re: Silent Type - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have heard bad things about these folks before, but this takes the cake.

Transform also charges a $10 monthly fee - SickandtiredMT

[ In Reply To ..]
So, this is not an isolated thing. Companies can charge whatever they want and you either have to accept it or move on. I personally moved on. As one poster said, let the companies write it off THEIR taxes. Pretty soon, the norm will be for us to pay the MTSOs a monthly fee to be an employee. I am definitely through with all this. I am going back to school where I can get a job that does not charge me to work for them.

Bet they are taking the tax deduction - syringaMT

[ In Reply To ..]
They are the ones who should be paying for it as their business expense. How much you want to bet that they are getting their IC's to pay for it, but are still taking it as an expense for their taxes?

Similar Messages:

FTP Server On The Cheap? Anyone Use Core FTP Server?
Dec 14, 2010

I'm starting to pick up some local MDs on my own and was wondering how to set up a FTP server.  I have used Core FTP in the past to access files on a server for another company I worked for, but now I want to set up a server for myself and my clients' use.  I've googled until my eyes bleed but it's all a bit over my head (and I'm usually pretty tech savvy).  Right now I only have 1 client so I would like to do this using something rather inexpensive (free ...

Anyone Get MModals Employee Of The Month This Month?
Feb 22, 2013

Saw they posted the new list. anyone get it? ...

3-month Versus 3 Month
May 13, 2014

Which is correct:  "The patient is here for a 3-month followup visit."  or  "The patient is here for a 3 month followup visit."   I was always told in this instance that it is without the hyphen becuase putting the hyphen in it will mean that the visit is 3 months long versus a visit at 3 months' time.   Which is the correct way to do this?  I got a correction back on a file and I was pretty sure I had it right.   ...

Setting Up A Server
Nov 26, 2009

Has anyone out there set up a server for your business? If so, how complicated was it, and is iit worth the investment?  I have about 10 MTs (small business).  I think this would save a lot of time and frustration if we had a server... Anyone who can share their opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. ...

ETransPlus Server
Jan 18, 2012

Does anyone have a problem with the eTransPlus server?  I find that it is very slow in responding to what I type while in the portal.  I've always had a problem, but it seems a lot worse this week.  I've talked to eTransPlus tech support in the past, but they haven't been able to find what's wrong. ...

Server Busy??
Jul 13, 2012

Server Problem?
Oct 15, 2012

Can someone please tell me what the problem is when every hospital dictation now sounds extremely muffled with a humming sound in the background.? Other things I listen to at other web sites sound perfectly clear, so it's not me.  Could it be my transcription program/server?  I'm not a technie at all, so don't know what to think, but I'm unable to do the work at this point because the sound is so muffled and I'm getting desperate.  Thank you for any ...

Email Server Down
Jun 24, 2014

Just wanted to pass along per HDSM that email server is down for everybody. ...

Server Is Down In Philly
Jul 13, 2014

They are working on it.  ...

Is Time On Server Gone?
Dec 17, 2014

I noticed on the new time sheet that I don't see the part that tells you how many hours you were on the server. Is that gone? Are they still calculating how many hours you've been on the server vs how many hours you've worked ?  ...

Chronicle Transcripts--Anyone Know If Their Server Is Down?
Feb 27, 2010

I had logged into Apex fine and then got an error message.  Now I cannot get in at all.  It goes to google and tells me the link is broken. ...

Due To A Server Networking Issue
Nov 17, 2011

MTStars visitors/members were unable to post messages on 16th of November. The problem has been relsoved and let us know at webmaster@mtstars.com if you experiience further problems. Thanks,Moderator. ...

Still Not In...Unable To Reach Server
Nov 11, 2013

NM ...

Can't Check Email Either - Server Is Down - Anyone Else?
Dec 15, 2014

x ...

UNABLE TO REACH THE SERVER
Jun 02, 2015

Any one else? ...

Having Trouble With InScribe Server/program Again
Oct 06, 2012

Having trouble with InScribe's server/program again.  Seems to happen more often on weekends.  I just did a very long report, and it won't seem to upload (not showing up in my Transcription Log).  Why does this happen?  It's very upsetting.   Is there anything I can do about it?  It's definitely not my computer's server/browser, as everything else is working for me.  Thanks.  ...

Fluency Down?!? Unable To Reach Server. Anyone Else.
Sep 25, 2014

x ...

Fluency Unable To Reach Server?
May 31, 2015

I know there was scheduled maintenance until 4 a.m. Eastern time.  I'm sick and up at 3 am CST...putting in for downtime!  ...

Anyone Else Having Problems With Fluency? Unable To Reach Server...
Feb 25, 2014

Rec'd error code while working and unable to download and to log out. Now getting message unable to reach server.  System down?  ...

2 1/2 Month Old
Aug 01, 2011

How do you type out 2 1/2 month old at the beginning of a sentence? Where exactly is it hypenated? Thanks ...

MTs/MME Of The Month
Jun 21, 2012

I wonder if anyone knows just how little of a damn I give.  I really, honestly, truly from the depths of my heart and soul just really don't give a damn. OK, there.  I said it.  ...

May Is MT Month!!
May 06, 2014

May is MT Month and we are celebrating it by allowing you to volunteer to take some continuing education.  It is highly important that we take care of the patient and account (or we will lose them to another MTSO).  You will not receive a thank you, no china-manufactured clock or pen for your hard work, just work harder and waste more of your time so we can pay you less and treat you like dirt.  By the way, we are going to monitor your every keystroke and if you are not giving us ...

Can Anybody Tell Me Which Month Is
Jun 07, 2014

Thanks. ...

PE On A 6 1/1 Month Old Infant.
Jun 16, 2010

doc is dicating PE for a 6 1/2 month old male. doc goes through vitals such as temp, heart rate, respirations, and then is saying something like definity percent on room air. Any ideas what difinity percent on room air could be??   ...

We Will Be A Different Company At End Of This Month.
Aug 17, 2011

Makes me sick reading this article which just came out a few hours ago.  This company is rolling in the money (OUR MONEY they make from our production) and we are just letting it all go to India.  I have had enough of this!!! http://www.marketwatch.com/story/medquist-holdings-reports-second-quarter-results-2011-08-15?reflink=MW_news_stmp We continue to build capacity in India and steadily migrate customer implementations to reach our goal of 50% of volumes by year-end, ...

How Do You Get MT Of The Month Thing
Jan 23, 2013

I want a $50 gift card.  I have never gotten this although I consistently have 99 to 100% accuracy and do double the average for production.  What does it take to get this stupid gift card? ...

Oh Boy...first Audit For The Month With The New POD
Dec 01, 2014

for the month of November and I scored a 99.42.  I wonder when I will hear about this...I have a feeling they are going to be tough on everything.  Just fire me already...put me out of my misery!  LOL   ...

You Employees Of The Month, Would You Please
Mar 01, 2015

tell me, besides just the satisfaction of doing a good job, what will you ever get for your loyalty and hard work for a company? See, it used to be in corporations, the people who did above and beyond their expected work got bonuses, raises, promotions, etc. Tell me what you will get for your excellent work ethic except more of the same with no hope of anything else. It is virtually just a slap on the back and an "atta boy." Not only that, but they will then expect more of you at the same compen ...

Preemie 6-month Check
Nov 18, 2009

Doing an interim note for a preemie.  Doctor is saying:   Former micro preemie with right sided head  p..... (s/l press.... )   But there is so much background noise with people talking and crying babies that I can't get much beyond that.  Any guesses... ...

Transtech DD Is It 2x Month Or Every Other Week?
Nov 28, 2009

hi, looking for every other week pay.  if you are with transtech, is the DD 2x month or every other week?  Thank you for any information.  ...