Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Aquity.. (Views: 40)

Congratulations, as well - Hope good things happen to you

Posted: May 16th, 2018 - 11:49 pm In Reply to: Getting out of the biz. - MTSO

I think what happens to a lot of us who are stuck at M-Modal or Nuance is that we get so beaten down by these companies (and others like them that are smaller) that we just forget there are good companies out there. It's just hard to find them because they are good and we need some sort of a paycheck now. What I didn't understand was how they could so thoroughly brainwash their first-line supervisors into spouting the company mantra, such as "get it right the first time," (their justification for a no-blank policy), but then they would dock pay if they could fill in a blank. The pay-docking, especially for "he said/she said" items ("well, I heard THIS medication and she typed THAT," three points off and more pay-docking, to the tune of over $100.00 a week when you were already making absolutely untenable and absolutely lousy pay) and in general, creating a "you lose" situation no matter what you did or how hard you worked. Tabulating the "time spent on keyboard" and holding the time against you that you took to look up items and/or geographical features you never heard of because of being on the West coast and the account was on the East coast. I was confronted for taking "two" extra hours to look things up! I was told that I "claimed" 40 hours when I only worked "38" because of those two "extra" hours. This on a band-new account that I was totally unfamiliar with! To top that off, they somehow factored that time into your lines per hour and then docked your pay for "not meeting metrics," plus created a performance issue by saying you "weren't meeting metrics" of 200 lines per hour. No grace period for learning a new account (that is, hospital). You were supposed to immediately produce 200 lines per hour on a new account or face docking and then firing.

I think that because the good companies are basically invisible we get to the point that we just assume all MTSOs are bad, because those are the ones that unabashedly advertise that they are abusive when they pay such low wages. Three cents a line? You can't even make minimum wage on that. That's why they are all saying "private contractor." Then, not only get less than minimum wage but pay another 7 or 8% tax on those crap wages. And that's what they are..."crap" wages, for someone they can't "get off the street" to hit the road running. Even unskilled people make better money than we do.

I think it's time all of us quit to do something else. Even the local Taco Time is paying $15.00 an hour. Try getting that at the MTSOs that are advertising for help (that is, the lousy ones). I hope they get a good dose of karma. Another thing that disillusioned me was that I got a chance to work for one of the "good" MTSOs. In the beginning it was good and then she jumped on the 4 cents per line bandwagon for contractors. Oh -- and the "frosting on the cake" was so-called "make-up pay." They paid so poorly after docking your pay for this or that, that they claimed they were paying you "too much make-up pay," that is to say, having to bring your pay up to minimum wage. Then they would create a performance issue out of that and fast-track you to firing and the fact that I live in a high minimum-wage state didn't matter one little bit! I was supposed to do more lines for that minimum wage to keep my job. The fact that eventually when the minimum wage hits $13.50 per hour, I would have had to do 2700 lines per day or be fired. That's quite impossible to do when you have to make so many corrections of those so-called "speech-recognized" documents.

I am certainly glad you will be following your dreams and good luck to you and your husband. Sounds like you will be getting a very much deserved retirement!

But I've had it with MTSOs and their (mostly) abusive tactics and cheap, unlivable wages. Not to mention abusive, "sweat-shop" tactics. I'm glad you didn't do that. But it's too late. I'm done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)