Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Added responsibilities, no added pay - Entitled Prima Donna

Posted: May 16th, 2018 - 7:06 pm In Reply to: added responsibilities, no added pay - sm

I'm not an IC and I've actually never worked for an MTSO but I wanted to comment on this. You don't have to apply if you don't like the terms of employment, at least they were up front about their expectations. Maybe you could negotiate a different rate for your non-pro time, keep track of how much time you spend answering phones and doing other things and request an hourly rate for that time. Maybe the switchboard closes at a certain time or maybe someone needs to take a lunch break and no, answering service employees don't make very much money.

I guess what you do is different, but at on-site jobs people are routinely asked to cover vacations, answer the phone and other things outside of their normal job description realm, no one gets extra pay. I work as a medical records tech and I'm also a back up person for transcription. I am sometimes expected to pick up the slack at very short notice, I get no extra pay and I wouldn't ask for it. We all cross train to cover absences, it's expected. If anyone at my office refused to answer the phone or asked for extra pay to do something different or extra, they would probably be shown the door. I worked a straight production MT job for years and was routinely asked to do things outside the normal realm. They calculated my hourly pay based on my line rate but it was never additional money. Think outside the box for once. If you're a team player or are willing to do extra things without complaining, these jobs often work into full-time benefited employment, which is something to consider because MT probably isn't going to last much longer. For those who want/need the job, salary for other things can probably be negotiated. Employers appreciate people who are willing to go the extra mile.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)