Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Generic Cover Letter - JC

Posted: Feb 22nd, 2018 - 12:05 pm In Reply to: cover letter - Mrs.MT

You can have sort of a generic cover letter, but you're right to personalize it a bit for the job so it doesn't come across as "canned." I only used a cover letter if it was required.

So everyone knows, the "why" you left MT is generally left for the interviewer to ask at the appropriate time. OR, for the applicant to mention at the interview at the appropriate time. It's not part of the resume or cover letter process.

The cover letter isn't meant to say a whole lot except give the reader of what you're like and a bit of how you might be an asset to them. A hearty hello is appropriate, in my opinion, to show you have some personality, followed by the fact that you are looking to change careers, bringing key assets of your former career (or current if you're still MT) into a new environment. You don't have to mention what the assets are in the cover letter.

It is necessary to mention the company name of the job you are applying for in there. "I have learned a lot in my several years of working, and I do believe it can be an asset to the [position name] at XYZ company." Or words to that effect. You have to be VERY CAREFUL to not sound like you're barging in there to make changes.

I honestly didn't use cover letters for the most part, but then, I was only applying for clerical work. If you're going for something more dynamic, like management or even sales, the cover letter is most appropriate and probably necessary.

Short and sweet on the cover letter. Right now, you're just wanting to catch someone's eye, not sell yourself. The fewer words, the better. Recruiters, or as the case may be, really don't want to read a narrative. In fact, they may pass over it, and just look at the resume. No cover letter is probably better than a lengthy cover letter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)