Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Surviving on a tight budget - MT

Posted: Dec 6th, 2017 - 3:58 pm

I have "discovered" some ways to stretch a dollar and survive on a budget.  Some of these are obvious/common knowledge and others you may not have thought of.  These are what work for me; of course, your mileage may vary depending on your circumstances, where you live, etc.

*  Cut the cable TV.  I have Netflix and also a Roku box plus Internet (YouTube, etc.), so there was no reason for me to hand over $120+ dollars monthly to the cable company.  Coupled with my DVD player, I can watch just about anything I want via one of the aforementioned modalities.

*  Cut the gym fees.  I canceled my gym membership because (1)  My complex installed a "fitness center," which, while not comprehensive, has brand-new treadmill and other equipment.  (2)  I bought myself a used bicycle.  and (3)  I am driving less, riding the bus and walking to run errands more.  As a result, I am carrying my groceries home in the doubled plastic bags (working those biceps! and triceps too) and working out my arms that way. I must be getting a decent workout doing this because I am short of breath and heart rate is up when I arrive home.  This also forces my butt up and out of the chair, going outside for fresh air and sunshine, which is something I used to never do sitting at the PC all the time.

*  Not eating out.  I will go out rarely with friends, but it's a treat now instead of a regular thing.  Not only am I saving money (food, drinks, tips, tax -- it all adds up) , but I am eating healthier, have lost some weight, and feel better too.

*  Not drinking alcohol.  It's ridiculously overpriced having it in a restaurant or bar (see above), and I don't want to keep it at home either.  This has cleared my head, facilitated my weight loss, improved my sleep, and I just feel better in general.  (I was a very light drinker to begin with, but alcohol never really agreed with me anyway because I always felt lousy afterward/lthe next day).

*  Subscribed to a bottled water delivery service.  It turns out that I am spending less on bottled water having it home-delivered.  (I use a local company, not a national one.)  In addition, my water intake has increased.  I think having the chilled cooler nearby serves as a "reminder."  This is all good because I want to drink more water and less other stuff.  It also cuts down on plastic recycling (one less thing for me to have to fool with).

I think most people know about shopping sales and stocking up on staples at the sale price, etc. so I won't bore you with that. 

I hope this was helpful or at least food for thought.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)