Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

MT Coalition: Dump your eleven demands. Prove that you - can accomplish ONE thing.

Posted: Dec 5th, 2017 - 3:32 am

I don't support your effort because I believe the field of transcription itself is destined for elimination in the near future (because of technology).

However, I do know this:  The list of eleven "working conditions" changes that you propose is a hot mess.  In the first place, there are simply too many issues being raised.  In the second place, many of those issues are expressed in language that is much too vague to be in any way negotiable, which means it's impossible for an MTSO to judge just what it is you think you want.

This list is, I'm quite sure, only guaranteed to stiffen the resistance of any MTSO that otherwise might be inclined to listen to you.

The primary issue in this field at the moment is the deplorable level of compensation, which does not reflect either the level of skill required to do this work OR the level of responsibility we assume (meaning, the risk of harm that attaches to the work not being done right).

You might not know it, but aside from skill required, the risk of harm that attaches to work being done improperly or by unqualified persons is a significant factor in determining compensation levels in most fields.  

For instance, one reason that electricians and plumbers earn higher wages than others in the construction trades (like painters) is the substantial risk of harm that attaches to electrical and plumbing work if not done properly.  It's also one of the reasons that different medical specialties are compensated differently.  For instance, a neurosurgeon is typically more highly compensated than a general surgeon because of the greater risk of catastrophic harm that attaches to neurosurgery.  An aircraft mechanic typically earns more than an automobile mechanic performing similar duties.

Well, WE are always being told that "patients' lives depend on the work that you do."  Although I think this has been exaggerated in order to levy penalties etc the fact is that there is some truth to it and some cases to prove it.  

Okay, fine - if that's the level of responsibility that attaches to my work, THE COMPENSATION SHOULD BE COMMENSURATE.  

CLIENT:  @%#@!! YOUR ERRORS!!  DOCTOR SAID POTASSIUM 40 mEq YOU TRANSCRIBED 400!!  YOU COULD KILL SOMEONE.  COPY SUPPOSED TO GO TO LEWIS HARMON MD YOU ENTERED LOUIS HANSON MD  -  WE COULD GET HIT WITH A HIPAA VIOLATION!

...and in closing, the inevitable threat:  DAMNYOU DAMNYOU DAMNYOU WEAREGOINGTOGETANOTHERSERVICE!! (Especially if we can find one cheaper.)

MTSO (SHOULD SAY):  FINE.  THEN WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS GRINDING ON OUR RATES SO THAT WE CAN ONLY AFFORD TO PAY MCDONALD'S WAGES AND HAVE TO HIRE NEWBIES INSTEAD OF HIGHLY EXPERIENCED MTs WHO WOULD HAVE RECOGNIZED THE ERROR???  EVEN OUR EXPERIENCED PE0PLE HAVE TO WORK AT TOP SPEED JUST TO MAKE A DOLLAR MORE THAN MINIMUM WAGE, WHICH SETS UP CONDITIONS FOR ERRORS.  YOU'RE PAYING INEXPERIENCED RATES, YOU'RE GETTING INEXPERIENCED LABOR.  YOU'RE SETTING THE CONDITIONS FOR ERRORS, YOU'RE GETTING ERRORS.  DEAL WITH IT.  AND BY THE WAY, YOU WON'T GET ANY BETTER QUALITY FROM THE NEXT CHEAP DEAL THAT YOU NEGOTIATE.

Prove you can do something about the insulting line rates that are being paid today (or any other single issue that the Coalition considers to be the prime issue, although I can't think what it would be) - and then you perhaps can begin to tackle other issues, which I suggest you do ONE BY ONE.

It's possible to eat an elephant, but you can only do so bite by bite - not in one gulp.

The Coalition has absolutely no track record.  No reputation.  No name recognition.  Not even one small victory under its belt.  And yet you come right out of the gate with 11 demands?  

If you behave like a spoiled kid with a case of the gimme's, sitting on Santa's lap rattling off her wish list, you're more likely to wake up on Christmas morning and find coal in your stocking instead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)