Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Why I will never, ever work "nights" again. - OldLady

Posted: Dec 3rd, 2017 - 12:51 pm

Years ago, when I was younger, I went for the carrot they dangled in front of me and worked 3rd shift to get the incentive pay.  Little did I know what that was doing to my body.

All humans have a circcadian rhythm that is in sync with the sun.  As such, we are naturally diurnal creatures, not "night owls."

IF your adrenal function is impaired, you may THINK you are a "night owl" because you (1)  Get a "second wind" at about 10 PM; and (2)  "Do your best work" at night.  Hypoadrenia can be induced my many factors, including stress, lack of sleep, heavy sugar consumption, heavy caffeine consumption, even light or moderate alcohol consumption, having many allergic reactions (including allergenic foods), etc.  Some people -- particularly those exposed to alcohol in utero, which occurs MUCH more frequently than most people realize -- are born predisposed to this problem.

So, in a nutshell, your adrenals are run down and not functioning as they should.  You need a pick me up so reach for coffee or soda...or even speed or cocaine for some people. And it just gets worse. So you wind up staying up later and later, going to bed later and trying to sleep during the day.  Now your circadian rhythm is completely out of whack, and you go around telling everyone that you're "naturally a night owl."  And round and round it goes, with working nights exacerbating the problem.  I did all of this, and it got me into BIG trouble health-wise.

Hypoadrenia affects brain function, the GI tract, the eyes, and weight -- Look around, and you'll see a LOT of folks with concentrated abdominal fat.  Of course, I am not saying that they ALL are hypoadrenic, but that is what hypoadrenia looks like.  -- just about every part of the body (most endocrine disorders so).  Once your aderenal function is down, it takes a LONG time to get it back up with a strict regimen of diet, excercise, supplements, and adhering to a DAY schedule. 

The bottom line for me is that there is no amount of "extra" incentive pay that makes up for the disastrous results induced by the resulting hypoadrenai of working third shift.

I hope this info is helpful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)