Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Tech Help Today's Top Viewed: Integrity.. (Views: 49)

IT does. But I recommend Shorthand anyway. :) - a very extensive vocabulary can be

Posted: Oct 24th, 2017 - 2:34 pm In Reply to: Any software that CREATES abbreviations from words - Brenda

copied off the web for free. Just search for it. It's built on a system so that you know what abbreviations are going to be by knowing the patterns for creating shorts. There's another that costs, but I don't see the point.

Shorthand, obviously, won't create new abbreviations beyond that, but it's also excellent in so many ways that I'd choose it all over again for its own advantages.

The biggest advantage that I just couldn't give up is that almost all symbol, number and function keys can be used by themselves or with all the letters in seemingly endless combinations for short forms/abbreviations. You can't do that with IT.

I use most of these extra keys for editing corrections macros, which means a continual speed advantage for dropping in very brief hit-and-run corrections.

I set up dictionaries for each new account and put the specifics in first thing for each so that I don't have to remember everything. For instance, my short form "o9" changes a comma to "or" in the dictionary for an account that doesn't want a final comma and to ", or" for another account that does. Another short form pair using those that I can't remember deletes to and including the next period and then inserts the "or" with or without comma.

It doesn't take long to modify an existing similar dictionary, but no expander program can do this kind of thing, with huge payoffs for those who do it for themselves. In Shorthand, and likely IT, any or all dictionaries can be linked so all entries are available all the time, but the dictionary you choose as the lead overrides all the others. No conflicts.

//, [[, .k,1r, 5F5, [', [a, d3, 3k, and ,q, ,g all do something for me, and so on all over the keyboard.

Btw, SH and IT both offer "window" that can be kept open to look for the short form you want as you start typing in letters. When I got SH over 15 years ago, I closed it immediately because I wanted to keep my eyes on the text to be edited. That means memorizing the "systems" your short forms are based on, plus memorizing things that fall outside the systems, such as above.

But having systems means you seldom need to look anything up. For instance, I've assigned all prefixes and suffixes a letter or at most 2 letters. "tion" is J for me. If I needed to insert "bumfuzzled" I know without looking that it'd be b+fuz+d and antibumfuzzlization would aibfuzj. No watching the highlight in the window until I see what I want and can select and move on.

Eyes on the text always. In these days of editing, moving as fast as possible down the document, that would always be my #1 rule for how to work with any expander.

#2, make short forms for all repetitive corrections and functions, including sending docs to QA (where the programs will allow), addresses and text for emails, etc., etc. If it involves keystrokes, use the expander to drastically shorten them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)