Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Tech Help

I don't use shorthand and never got the hang of - Instant Text

Posted: Oct 19th, 2017 - 11:10 am In Reply to: Does Shorthand help make you more productive with editing? - I have never used it before and am not familiar wi

I do have a lot of expansions in autotext and I use some basic macros every day.

If you have to expand something like IV, put an autocorrect in for IVe to spell it out, that way all you have to do is add an e at the end of IV and hit the space bar and it expands. I have hundreds of those kinds of things. I pretty consistently have to type in some report headings, so I have those in autocorrect form.

The other thing that helps me with autocorrect at least is I put all my typos in, even in editing. I use my mouse a lot because I never got the hang of using keyboard shortcuts and the mouse is faster for me. Sometimes when I'm putting my hands back on the keyboard, my fingers slip and so I may make a typo when I'm adding in a word. I'll put that typo into auto correct so I don't have to stop and correct myself. Those kinds of things are all time savers for me.

I have a macro that will put the hyphen in between "as" and "needed" to make as-needed when appropriate. I have another macro that will combine two sentences into one,i.e., remove the period and the extra space and make the next word lower case, so if you have something that reads "The patient. Has to go to the clinic" my macro will make it read "The patient has to go to the clinic"

I have another one that will do the same thing only put the comma in for an introductory phrase and another one that will put the semicolon in because we all know how much doctors love to start sentences with the word "however" when it should rarely, if ever, be used to start a sentence.

I never got the hang of using Instant Text because I had too much muscle memory from Smartype and it was just enough different that I could never get used to it. It also didn't play well with the version of EditScript I was using and would leave a big blank space at the bottom in an already small editing window. That may be different with the upgrade version we have now. I do see the benefits of IT if you can learn it - it does a lot that can be helpful. There's a forum on the IT website that has a lot of useful info on it if that's something you're looking into.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)