Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

Assuming you are making decent money or - more than minimum wage

Posted: Sep 20th, 2017 - 6:51 am In Reply to: Nuance - Betty

If you are able I would definitely take unemployment rather than "transition" to lower pay and horrible working conditions.

Funnily enough, according to the guy who talked to us the day a bunch of other MTs got laid off, the "grid" is the centerpiece of the entire business model of Nuance Transcription. Well, that makes sense in a way. It is, in actuality, a method to dock our pay via monetarily penalizing errors. Something you never know when is going to hit, usually when you need that paycheck most.

My wages halved once Nuance started paying me - in my case we had a 6 month period where the bought out company was supplementing us to "get us up to speed." Guess what? You got it, we were already up to speed, the time was just to lull us into a false sense of security, the extra pay just hush money so they wouldn't frighten the horses.

I can guarantee you that 6 months of unemployment will be better paid (in most states) than 6 months of working for Nuance and realizing you want out, and then realizing that what's out there pays even less because Nuance and MModal have a monopoly and they drive the rates down and buy out the smaller companies or subcontract to them.

Also, IC status is what many smaller MTSOs offer now, and it used to be a good way to have a small business in a sense, but now it is just a way for these companies to get out of paying employee costs of Social Security, FICA, etc. They don't actually seem to pay any more for ICs, which they used to, and in the meantime you are left with the huge headache and time eater of taking a bunch of money out of your own meager pay to pay your own SS and other costs, and hard to see what the plus side to that is, except maybe (supposedly) being able to set your own schedule. I realize some love being IC, but I am not one of them.

In my case, we were not offered the option of UI, but I wonder if any of us challenged that because they claimed since they were giving you a job you were not unemployed. Not sure, but really I have to think if we had known our pay would halve there may have been a way to get UI and out of working for Nuance.

I have seen others offered UI now and if you get that chance, I would definitely take it. That, or if there are any jobs going in your hospital that you wouldn't mind doing, that's definitely an option.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)