Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance Today's Top Viewed: Integrity.. (Views: 31)

Severance - sm

Posted: Sep 13th, 2017 - 9:42 pm In Reply to: Anyone not sign the severence? - j

I was laid off from a hospital 2 weeks ago with a small severance. When I went to DOL, they encouraged me to file UI immediately (HR said they wouldn't contest it), but that the severance had to be used up before I started getting payments.

For instance, let's say that I got $1000 severance pay (ha-ha, yeah sure). Let's also assume that my UI benefit was determined to be $250/week. In my state, you have to "qualify" for benefits each week with pretty rigorous requirements. In this instance, I would immediately start having to meet the requirements of UI (properly documented job search, etc.) each week for 4 weeks, at a value of $250/week, but the severance would be considered to take the place of insurance payments. I wouldn't start to get unemployment payments until the 5th week, when the severance would be considered to have been "exhausted." I don't know if states differ in this regard.

Because I'm still very, very overwhelmed by the layoff, and my stress level is off the chart, I'm finding UI to be very complicated. I'm probably over-thinking things, and it'll all fall into place if I can get it right just ONCE.

I'm so sad for all of you at Nuance and hope great things are in store for all your futures.

Let me add that signing off on the severance package is (in my case) a guarantee that you don't hold the employer liable for anything and that you won't disclose the details of the severance or bad-mouth the employer on any social media forum or anywhere else without incurring legal consequences. Pretty serious stuff. I signed it anyway. Of course, they're counting on that. It feels like a gag order, but I needed the money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)