Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Integrity.. (Views: 44)

There is life/jobs after MT - MikefromMilwaukee

Posted: Sep 5th, 2017 - 10:43 am

I had been a medical transcriptionist for 20+ years. Early on I had joined AAMT, got certified, and kept up with re-certification over the years. In the early days, I was actually making 50,000+ annually. Of course, I worked MANY hours for that, but since I did enjoy the work, it was great. Then over the years things slowly started going south. For those on this Board who have said that this industry has been dying for decades, they are absolutely correct. My work was always (except for one brief period) as an IC working out of my home. Towards the end, my one-time pay of approximately 14 cents per line was down to less than 8 cents per line. Finally the service owner whom I worked for folded. I put out my resume, mostly to free headhunter type services, and apparently they pass those resumes on to others.  Anyway, I ended up with a Skype interview for a company who does research for pharmaceutical companies. They would interview patients with different diseases. All of these interviews had to be transcribed. Apparently the interview went well, so they hired me. They said there would be some medical language and had asked about the details of my background as a certified medical transcriptrionist, but it seemed like they never really were very impressed with that. The work they hired me for was called Medical Qualitative Transcriptionist. I am only part-time (which is actually what I want since I'm 73 and on SS now). I am NOT an IC with them, rather I am considered a part-time employee, so they do take withholding taxes etc. No vacation pay though. The pay they started me out as was $22.75 per hour.  YES, not 3 or 4 cents per line, but $22.75 hourly. I keep track of my time and fill out a time sheet daily. The checks are deposited into my account.  I'm saying all this just to try and encourage folks that there is work to be found "similar" to medical transcription. Background in this field can be helpful. I still work out of my home, and I still get to do what I love (type, computers, and be at home). Take heart. There is life after medical transcription.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)