Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Once again, I will be truthful...SM - MTMLS

Posted: Aug 27th, 2017 - 1:52 am In Reply to: re-read your posts - hansenhomemaker

Just so you know, many MTs with experience are making less than burger flippers. As ICs you get NO benefits and pay your own taxes. More ways for companies to pay us less.

You said, "I did know about speech recognition but was told that they are finding that it didn't perform like they had hoped. I also had heard about out-sourcing but once again read that doctors found too many errors and that it was being sent back to USA for editing."

Unfortunately, you are reading in the wrong places. None of that is true. The Indian market is doing millions in business and getting larger. Nuance and M-Modal the largest companies based here in the US send lots of work to India, especially the easy stuff. There are many more companies like them. So no, it is not being sent back here. If only that were so.

But, the more worrisome problems are EMR point and click and front-end speech recognition. Do a Google search. With these platforms, the doctors do it all themselves with no MT at all. Nuance used me on a radiology startup...as soon as Powerscribe learned the docs, the docs did it themselves and I was out of a job. That's front-end SR. Check out Powerscribe.

The other thing you should consider, something I asked every trainee do before I would train them. Sit at your computer for two hours with your right foot extended and heel on the floor and periodically lifting your foot up and down with you heel still planted. At the same time, type in some document as fast as you can, all the while having a headset on listening to CNN at a fairly high volume. That is how you will be sitting hours on end, pounding away at the keyboard with your foot going up and down on the footpedal. You can't stop to talk to anyone, you can't take phone calls, and you can't have your children interrupt you. The platforms track you so the company can tell if you are working. Interruptions break your concentration and cost you money. It is a lot more physically demanding that people realize. The footpedal makes it so you cannot move around to get more comfortable.

I hope you do more research. Doesn't sound to me like what you are reading is from MTs who know what they are talking about.

To show you how bad it is, if I wasn't old and my body broken from too many hours in a chair in front of a computer, I would take a job flipping burgers. In..a..heartbeat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)