Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Who has Canadian accounts now?.. (Views: 77)

That MTSO owner was psycho, and back then - (70s) most were decent. (sm)

Posted: Aug 4th, 2017 - 2:01 am In Reply to: That's an oldie but goodie. :) - Curious

My first small taste of a pay-cut came two in-house MTSOs later. I worked swing-shift, which for quite a while had no supervisor because the nice one they had quit because she had to move out of state. We all worked well together, covered each other, and got the work done. The owner said we were his best shift.

Then he went and made one of the swing-shift workers into the supervisor of that shift. It was a Jekyll-and-Hyde transformation once she found herself in power. It was my first production-based job (7 cpl in 1977) and we were working on the first word-processors I'd ever seen - made by Wang. I liked them, and got good lines counts. I was making good money. Then, the woman who had become our new supervisor started assigning all the best work to her "special friends", and giving those lower in the pecking order almost 100% radiology. (Before, we shared the radiology work equally.) With shorter reports and more paper-shuffling, I ended up making 50% less than before when I was doing so much radiology, and I think a 50% cut in pay is a little drastic.

The owner was in his office working late one evening and I politely suggested that we go back to everyone sharing the radiology burden equally. He said "Sorry, if _____ (mgr) assigns you to radiology, then you do radiology." I said I couldn't afford a 50% paycut, and he said "Too bad. If you don't like it, you can leave."

So I did. I walked back to my desk, shredded all the reports I'd typed that night, and erased all the cassettes that were there - transcribed or untranscribed - and walked out.

I learned later that they lost that radiology account. Yay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)