Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance Today's Top Viewed: Who has Canadian accounts now?.. (Views: 48)

Oh, I made my choices with my eyes wide open, - close to retirement, health issues,

Posted: Jul 20th, 2017 - 4:52 pm In Reply to: Judge not lest ye be judged. - sm

pre-"retired" to a beautiful rural area with few, mostly lousy-paying jobs, some of those possibly open to older women.

My post covered those like me who made the eyes-open choice to accept exploitation, most of us nearing retirement and UNWILLING to make big changes, others genuinely trapped by family and/or health or other issues.

But make no mistake. In earlier decades I completely retrained twice when circumstances made that the sacrifices and hard work a wise choice -- back to college, then into trainee-level jobs for the experience required for certification, then rebuilding income -- to get both the work and the income I wanted. And then I retrained to work at home at this when my health required taking quieter, low-stress work that paid well at that time.

But retraining is exactly what the floods of good MTs who left this field did when pay started dropping. They RETRAINED for good-paying jobs when they saw the writing on the wall.

I seldom come here because it's become dominated by those who didn't leave but, unlike many of us also still around, won't accept that they have any responsibility for their problems.

Then there are those who claim to have left and to be making more (!) in some bottom-level job. It'd be quite a trick to be making more in a fast food joint or big-box store than as a skilled (?) editor, bad as this pays. Exploitation and abuse are typical of the entire bottom tiers of jobs, not just this field. The only way to good income is to go after it by developing higher-paying skills to sell.

The return of the laissez-faire capitalism our grandparents got rid of under business-serving presidents, governors, legislatures and congresses is the huge, main reason why we're so disgracefully underpaid -- and the giant sucking sound of our nation's wealth and power the reason why our fabulously wealthy U.S. has literally half of all the exploding population billionaires on the planet right here.

And who's fault is that if not the 300 million other people of our nation for letting it happen? Each of us included. We were born into a culture that believed full-time jobs should pay a living wage, and they did. And many of us tossed that wonderful gift previous generations fought for away. Wanna be angry? Be angry at all those who supported "we have to get off the backs of business." Because what we got for it is what that meant. We got off, all right, and they got right back on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)