Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Food - for thought

Posted: Jul 17th, 2017 - 3:57 pm In Reply to: IC and OOW - NM

Don't know if this is relevant to your situation, but wanted to share just in case. I recently met with my accountant. I always tell my accountant the horror stories of this business, and he really is horrified. He can't believe we are treated like this, and are paid less than minimum wage. When I asked him why nothing is ever done about the myriad injustices that are perpetrated on MTs in general and ICs in particular, here is what he said:

Nothing is done about it because there aren't enough auditors. He said let's face it, how many people (companies or individuals) want there to be more auditors in the labor force? Obviously, no-one wants more auditors around, so there are never enough to investigate all the injustices. That being said, he did mention (hypothetically speaking, of course) that if an IC (or several ICs from the same company) were to file for unemployment, it would never be granted. However, because of the nature of the request for unemployment, and the circumstances leading to the request for unemployment benefits, it would definitely result in the initiation of a Social Security and IRS audit of the company involved. He said while there may not be enough auditors, a situation that comes under IRS scrutiny does not usually fall through the cracks.

That's what he told me. Food for thought. Just saying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)