Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

FIRST ISSUE: Why the 2:1 differential in line rates between straight transcribing - and editing?

Posted: Jul 16th, 2017 - 6:12 pm In Reply to: We need an MT Compensation Council and I'm prepared to initiate that - if there is sufficient interest.

There is no logical support for this differential. It arises from the false claim of SR software companies that the MT can edit twice as many lines as she can transcribe.

While we know that there are very rare situations in which an MT might edit twice the number of lines that she could transcribe, that is not the presumption on which the pay differential is based.

When it comes to compensation rates, which must be based on TYPICAL performance rather than ATYPICAL, the false claim that the MT can CONSISTENTLY edit twice as many lines as she can type is simply false and cannot be accepted by MTs.

Based on real production information, the editing line rate should not be 50% of the typing rate, but 67% or even more.

But it goes deeper than that. The fact is, the line rate should be the same whether it is produced by SR or by typing, because THIS IS A KNOWLEDGE JOB. IT IS NOT A PRODUCTION JOB.

Consider this to prove the point: It takes EXACTLY THE SAME DEGREE OF EXPERTISE TO DECLARE A LINE PRODUCED BY SR CORRECT AS IT DOES TO DECLARE THE LINE WRONG (AND FIX IT). In the first instance, there is no physical labor required. In the second, there is the labor required to edit the line. But the knowledge necessary to assess and deal with EITHER CASE is exactly the same. Whether the dictator says "levothyroxine 50 mg" or "levothyroxine 50 mcg", I must bring precisely the same expertise to the question I am asked to resolve, i.e. whether that line is correct or not. Fixing the line if it is wrong, then, is simply incidental to the expertise that I have brought to the table.

Or, consider the matter of research. When you must conduct research to resolve ambiguities, it takes you precisely the same amount of time to do so whether it's an editing job or a transcribing job. The difference is, with an editing job, making as little as you are, the time you spend on that research some cases might even drop you below the minimum wage level.

Less than minimal wage, merely because you are not TYPING while you're IMPROVING THE QUALITY OF THE DOCUMENT.

THIS IS A KNOWLEDGE JOB that happens to involve PRODUCTION. It is NOT A PRODUCTION JOB that happens to involve KNOWLEDGE.

This is the sort of thing that the Compensation Council will either get straightened out with MTSOs once and for all, or will call for whatever job action is necessary to eradicate the perfidious, abominable "2:1" lie, which more than anything else, has thrown us and so many of our sisters into poverty conditions once and for all - while we have labored honorably and under increasingly adverse conditions and ever-diminishing wages to provide the MTSO and its clients with a quality product that is worthy of taking its place in the patient's medical record.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)