Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

No one can guess what the difference would be for you between - straight typing and editing. sm

Posted: Jul 16th, 2017 - 5:52 pm In Reply to: Getting paid by keystroke - anon

The most significant factor would be your typing speed, which we don't know, but there are other imponderables as well.

For instance, a good speech rec (editing) platform does a credible job with deciphering certain things that you might otherwise have to stop and look up, such as physician names, obscure medication/drug names, geographic references common to the region of the facility, etc. SR also becomes familiar with certain dictators' "customary expressions" that might otherwise throw you for a loop and require you to research other reports by that dictator.

In short, we don't know how much research you would have to do on these and other ambiguities too numerous to mention.

Having said that, it's my experience as a supervisor of a fairly large team with both editing and straight typing accounts that most MTs can type about 60-70% of the lines they can edit.

Example: If you can edit 300 lph, you will usually type between 175-225 lph.

This is not, of course, the 100% differential between editing and typing that the SR companies claim, and which has given rise to the false differential of 2:1 line rates in our field between editing and typing. (Which suggest that someone who types 200 lph will be able to edit 400 lph. I have never seen anything like this false narrative achieved by any MT on any account on a consistent basis, although some have come close to it sporadically when the wind is blowing just right.)

NOTE: My opinion is based on the observation of more than 60 team members over a period of 3 years, but it is still limited for the reason that it's based on only one transcription platform throughout that period of time. Others who have supervised people on different platforms might have a different experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)