Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Me too! - kcart

Posted: Jul 4th, 2017 - 8:47 am In Reply to: Looking on the bright side. Downtime long enough - for me to find a new job. Happy. nm

…..officially hanging up my hat after 17 years of running my own MT business as an IC. When I lost my last big client in September of last year to VR, subcontracted with a company out of NY. Worst decision ever! Slave labor per line rates; horrible dictators (told four months ago they were addressing this with clients and still not addressed – audio so bad that a 1-2 min job takes 10-15 minutes); promised plenty of work with “great” new account when signed on, but then they over hired on account; agreed to certain work hours with two weekend days per month when signing on, but then told in order to work that “great new account” I now needed to commit to one day “every” weekend, which I did and get little to no work at all from that account on weekends (which pays more per line than the crappy audio accounts I get on weekends instead); asked to type things “routinely” (like mg/mcg, etc.) even if provider doesn’t say it; inundated with numerous emails constantly (sometimes 10 per day) with attachments regarding changes to specs, etc. (went thru a ream of paper just in first two weeks working with them), and the list goes on and on. They jumped into this new account without all their ducks in a row, and the MTs bore the brunt of their inability to “get things straight.” And, then when Nuance/Inscribe went down, asked MTs to do 10 additional steps, download templates (with headers so, of course, they don’t have to pay you standard line rate instead of QT rate to type the headers yourself), etc., but offered no extra incentive to do all those extra steps that take extra time and cut into our bottom line, only to help them continue to meet their bottom line in a time of crisis. The final straw was getting an email from upper level regarding the cyber attack, reassuring us that things would be back up and running soon, practically begging for people to do all that “extra” to help with the backlog while stating that their goal was to maintain satisfaction for their clients. What? What about your MTs? Oh yeah, they offered us a half-cent more per line for standard lines on the day before the holiday like they normally pay on holidays and weekends. Woop-de-doo! Used the downtime, to find a great new job at 2.5 times the average hourly rate I was making with them, paid vacation and personal time, a 401K with company match, health insurance, life insurance, M-F workdays and 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM work hours. Of course, after 17 years I’ll have to leave my home to go to work, but my kids are grown now and out on their own, so actually looking forward to it. Gave them my notice Sunday, start my new job on the 24th, and using the next couple of weeks to go out and shop for some nice new work clothes and just take a breather from the miserable work situation I’ve been dealing with for the last 10 months. Never in my entire work career (I’m 57) have I felt like just a number the way working for this company has made me feel. If you’re feeling that way too, do yourself a favor and make the move. Get out while you can….

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)