Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: platform.. (Views: 32)

People I Know Who Love Their Jobs: - s/m

Posted: May 26th, 2017 - 3:14 pm In Reply to: Non-MT Jobs - More thoughts

I never loved MT, but for many years it was at least tolerable. Although I know many people in other fields who hate their jobs and can't wait to retire, I do know some, usually with unusual jobs, who love them:

Park Ranger: A woman I know is a Park Ranger at the Golden Gate National Recreation area, which extends from the Golden Gate Bridge up into the Marin coast.

Drone Photographer: This guy is a talented artist, photographer and electronics geek. He's also an ace drone pilot. He studied hard and took tests to be able to get a professional drone pilot's license, so he can fly in areas where amateur drone operators can't. He does videos on everything from news stories to real estate, weddings, and sports events. One of his gigs took him throughout mainland China filming a basketball team.

Ski Patrol: Very seasonal, and a low-paying, part-time gig, but the guy who does this loves it.

Ice Rink Manager: Definitely a niche job, but he gets to drive a Zamboni!

Event Marketer: This is a job in a niche sport this guy literally made for himself, from the ground up. It has supported his family and sent all 3 of his kids to college.

Professional DJ: Not full-time, mostly late-night work at parties, but these musically-inclined people LOVE what they do, and the atmosphere they create at parties.

Astrophysicist: Lots of school and math aptitude for this one. Although he sometimes complains about it, for the most part he loves it.

Teacher: I know lots of teachers, and all of them are dedicated to their students and love what they do.

Massage Therapist: I know several; one isn't making it financially, the other two are, and enjoy it. It takes a lot of physical (arm & upper body) strength.

Magician's Assistant: One of my friends is married to an amazing professional magician, and she is his beautiful assistant.

Geologist: Lots of schooling needed, but does alot of interesting projects around the SF Bay Area, including working on a ship that studies underwater geology.

Picture Framer: She works hard - the job can sometimes be demanding, but is good at it and enjoys it.

Uber/Lyft Driver: Most people do it as a sideline, but some do it full-time, especially when they're between jobs. Uber is an evil company, in my opinion and that of many of its drivers, but Lyft is a good one that's more employee-friendly. One person I know who was pretty successful at driving for Lyft really went the extra mile for his clients, kept fresh roses on the dashboard to hand out to the ladies, took professional-looking photos of tourist clients in scenic spots, etc. also a good job for night-owls. The downside is you have to have a fairly new sedan. You can't drive a 21-year-old beater like I do.

Event Performer: This is another niche job a woman I know built for herself. She's very pretty, and also is one of those "chameleon" types of people who can morph into just about any look. She's also an artist and an expert seamstress, and she designs and sews all her costumes. She might be a Disney Princess at a birthday party in the afternoon, and a realistic-looking mermaid swimming in a pool at a museum that night. Lots of corporate parties in the city, and also conventions at Moscone Center, the baseball park, etc. Her many characters have been in high demand in recent years.

Zumba/Dance/Exercise Instructor: One lady I know works full-time at a fitness center, does some management work and the rest is Zumba classes. In the past she's also been a ballroom dance instructor.

Author: I don't know any full-timers, but they all love what they're doing and some are well-paid when they sell.

Photographer: She's traveled all over the world taking photos, and recently has branched out into making family history books for people. I work part time for her transcribing one-on-one interviews for these history books.

Event Planner/Coordinator: I've known several women who do this. One was involved in parades and beauty pageants. Another does fund-raising events for a community theater in the Sonoma County area, as well as a parade and a huge chili cookoff. She works hard, but loves what she does. She also sidelines as an aerobics instructor.

Clown/Street Performer: I actually know quite a few people who do this! During the tourist season it pays the rent. One actually manages a circus school, too, which trains performers on trapeze, fire-juggling, hooping, etc.

Dog-Walker/Petsitter: Doesn't need much explanation, but it can be a lucrative sideline.

Gardener: One guy I know works as a gardener in Golden Gate Park, and seems to enjoy it a lot. A woman in my town works for the town, as well as businesses and residents, keeping their gardens clean and colorful. She did a beautiful wildflower garden at the post office that's spectacular.

Dental Surgical Assistant: She's a real pro, loves her work, the dentist she works with and her patients, and they love her. It pays well enough that she only has to work a few days a week. She's a total people-person, which you I think you'd have to be to work so closely with people. She's worked for the same dentist in the 15+ years that I've known her.

Sports Apparel Artist: This guy created this at-home, part-time niche from scratch. Started buying nice leather jackets and painting them with various local football, basketball and baseball pictures for super-fans who want a custom look to support their favorite teams. Each jacket is a masterpiece, and even one of the sports starts bought one for his mom to wear to games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)