Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Old RN - New MT - sm

Posted: Apr 22nd, 2017 - 6:52 pm In Reply to: Old RN--New MT?? - Ruth

I am sorry to hear you are newly disabled. I think if you have had to retire early and really need to work from home, then yes, MT could be a possibility still.

I am not sure what type of additional training you would need or how expensive it would be, though it too could probably be done online from home.

You can still find online/home-based MT work. I think the two major MTSOs, MModal and Nuance, have gobbled up most of the industry. They have been steadily sending it all overseas. Those of us still working for them have seen a huge decrease in pay over the past decade and a continuing demand for increased productivity, etc., all for little pay.

I continue on with it, though, because I have a disabled family member and need to work from home. If all you need is just some supplemental income, you might not do badly with MT work.

For me, it is a lot of work for little pay, but it does at least still bring some small amount of money in so I can stay at home. I actually think there are more home-based opportunities than any other now, as companies find it cheaper to outsource this work than to pay benefits.

For most people, I would tell them to run not walk in the opposite direction. But under certain circumstances where options are very limited, and especially for someone with prior medical training, I think it could still be a consideration.

It might not hurt to try to find out how much experience you need to work for some of the major companies.

Twenty years ago, everyone wanted 2 years of experience, preferably acute care. I don't know if the RN experience could count toward that, but it might. But before investing much toward it, it might not hurt to find out for sure what the job opportunities are like.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)