Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Verbatim and offshoring are big contributors. - old MT

Posted: Mar 20th, 2017 - 3:22 pm In Reply to: I have left MT for a hospital position dependent on medical - Record-

When I started 30 years ago, part of being an MT was creating a readable report. Basically, for many doctors, that meant making them look literate and able to communicate. We used to lament that there were some doctors who could not make a coherent sentence if their life depended on it. We also transcribed the same doctors over and over, so became familiar with their style and what they were communicating. There was on particular ESL doctor for whom I would make sense of his word salad, he would read the transcript and work with me to make any changes or explain what he was trying to say. Nowadays, most of the work is outsourced, and we are required to transcribed verbatim. Still, too many dictators cannot adequately communicate, but we are not allowed to fix/help them. Some doctors, mostly ESL, cannot form a comprehensible sentence/paragraph, even to the point I have no idea what they want to say. So, I either leave the gibberish or blank it. Add to this, speech recognition with horrid and/or made up automatic output, and the stupidly high production demand, and a lot gets missed. Frankly, without years of experience and continuing education, I don't see how newbies can edit SR. And, MT/editors with the necessary experience are leaving in drives or taking early retirement. I too am leaving the field. I only have 1 more semester left in school. This endeavor despite being over 60 years old!

Now, also add on offshoring, and you are spelling disaster. Despite what MTSOs will say, the quality off offshore work I have seen is not good.

Add to this doctors/PAs/NPs having to do their own writing directly into the system, you are seeing their communication abilities in the raw, and it is not pretty.

With the changes in creating medical record content, patient health is in peril. When MTs were in house, we could watch out for the patient. There were a few times I had to let my supervisor know a doctor sounded as if he was high, or a New doctor did not seem to know what he was doing. The supervisor then brought this to the attention of the higher ups along with the evidence. There were also times I called an intern and told him he needed to look at his report.

Patients, doctors and MTs have lost a lot with dad progression of medical care documentation to cheap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)