Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Who has Canadian accounts now?.. (Views: 58)

Not a career at all. At best it's an okay job with some perks. - brokeMT

Posted: Mar 15th, 2017 - 7:45 am In Reply to: Is medical transcription a good career? - MichelleSmithMed

I've been doing this for over 15 years. In the last 5, I have not made over $24,000 a year working at least 40 hours a week (used to make close to 40K when I started). The benefits of the job (and what kept me doing it despite the pay cuts are: I didn't have to put my children in daycare. As they got older, I was home with them after school. I was able to flex my time to be able to volunteer at their schools and be available when they were sick.

As far as a career. No, absolutely not. You will never make "good" money as an MT and there is certainly no opportunity for advancememt. Most companies have cut benefits to a minimum and some don't even hire emoloyees anymore, just independent contractors, so you have no insurance or paid time off. Will you make more than you would at McDonald's? Maybe (some MTs don't). At least McDs offers upward mobility within the company. MT is totally a dead end. DEAD. If you're looking to make some extra spending money and be available for your kids, sure it's still an OK thing to do. If you're looking to support yourself, it can work if you have a simple/cheap lifestyle. If you're supporting kids, no way unless you qualify for some public assistance - and chances are you will on an MT income. I would not recommend investing time or money in training for MT. Use the resources to train for something better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)