Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

M*Modal

I'm sorry - On the other side of the fence

Posted: Feb 21st, 2017 - 8:08 am In Reply to: Critical Errors - LTMT

Unfortunately, anatomical errors are considered critical, in this case not so much but in operative reports definitely. You dismiss the coding and billing hassles, but if something like this is missed and it's coded incorrectly, the reimbursement to the provider could be affected and the coder could be fined. In this case it was minor and you could possibly have heard correctly if the voice was slurred, your manager could always confirm it with the facility or provider, assuming they have that capability. You seem to think that as long as medical records or coding has to fix your errors that it's no big deal as long as you don't have to do it. I've worked as an MT, a QA editor and I now work in medical records. Depending on the EMR (we use Epic), correcting dates of service is a huge deal. The only ones with access to the medical record after the report is final is the provider so they have to fix it. We are currently trying to get an operative report fixed (should have been flagged) where the date of service was left off and it can't be coded. Again, we had to go to the provider. I have hundreds of missing CCs that have to be reconciled for various reasons. Not a big deal for you but a PIA for me. For what are considered critical and non-critical errors, you can consult AHDI best practices or the Book of Style. I'm sorry you feel bad about being charged with the error, but your QA is just doing their job. Chalk it up as a learning experience and the thankful that it has only happened once in 10 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)