Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

Nuance production disincentives are the real problem - FIESA deductions plus no control over work

Posted: Feb 2nd, 2017 - 8:39 am In Reply to: Question for my fellow MTs! - Noone123

Don't beat yourself up. Wanting to fiddle around on Facebook is NOT compromising patient care. It just means you are taking longer to do work, which really only hurts you, not them, but it IS a very valid coping mechanism.

Now if you said you were not being careful and sending off work intentionally incomplete or wrong, well, that would be compromising patient care.

I used to be laser focused on making sure every clocked minute was only for doing work. I tried to limit any interruptions, no Facebook, nothing but working. That, however, was back in the day when we were rewarded for high line counts and not punished for little teensy mistakes.

You can struggle really hard and do great production, then get a FIESA email that tells you that your pay has been cut due to a word you left out so it's all for naught.

This is a disincentive to do high production to me. How some are still making $17/hr is beyond me, but so as not to get the incredible disappointment and sick feeling in my stomach that comes with the FIESA notification, I have changed my strategy to making my working day survivable and not aiming for high production anymore.

What I do is just power through my 8 hour shift and if I have to go to the bathroom or if I feel like checking Facebook I do it. No breaks at all unless I know I will be away for longer than a minute or two. I will take a "Facebook break" too in this manner when I find my concentration straying. I do try to catch up on dictators, work types I know really well, when/if I get them that is.

We control so little of our working environment now, you can get an incredibly great line count and then be hit with an unfamiliar dictator from an unfamiliar account with weird specs that is straight type, so line count goes down the drain anyway.

As long as I can get over 200 lph and feel happy with my level of checking and making sure I get all the specs right, the dates, the ages, I can live with that. Live very cheaply, without a doubt. I don't make a lot anymore, between $11-15/hr, but I only do 8 hours and I work at home and let's face it that's about the only thing this job has to offer anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I do have days where I literally fall asleep at my desk. Really. I have a problem sometimes where I just cannot sleep at all and then I never seem to have any PTO to take the day off, so those are not good days, but I just try to be careful and go as slow as I have to and still make it through.

We have not a lot of ways to make our working day any better. Screwing around on Facebook is a coping mechanism, not necessarily a no-no, certainly not when no matter what you do you get hit with FIESA anyway or that unfamiliar account straight typing job to make it come all tumbling down.

Whatever works for you is what I think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)