Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Company Board

IC = Self-Employed - Contacted IRS

Posted: Dec 6th, 2016 - 10:52 am In Reply to: You mean people actually think "IC" means - "work whenever you like"?

When you are an IC, you are self-employed. You are not required to work a "set" schedule - a company cannot dictate when you have to work at all. That is "employee" status. I contacted the IRS regarding this issue and have been an IC since 1999. When you are an IC, you are not required to work a set schedule, ever. You can give them a time frame you can and will work, but a company cannot tell you that you have to work a fixed set schedule and reprimand you if you don't. That crosses the line to being an employee. Many companies don't want to pay benefits and employee taxes, but still want people to work as if they are an employee. It's wrong! I have never had to work a "set" schedule as an IC and I have done this for 16+ years. I refuse to work a place who wants to classify me as an IC but yet demand employee schedule with no benefits whatsoever. They are cheating the IRS and the people who work for them when they do this. I have also confirmed this with the IRS. You can disagree but it is wrong. If a company wants me to give them the benefit of "employee" by working a required schedule, then they need to give me the benefit of paying taxes for me and insurance and all the perks that come with being an employee.

A lot of companies misclassify to reduce payroll costs. When they do this, everyone loses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)