Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Hang in there, here's what I did.... - Lucky lady

Posted: Dec 6th, 2016 - 9:44 am In Reply to: Saw a job posted for a dishwasher - 2old2MT2

I worked as an MT for 30+ years and was laid off by an MTSO when the lay-offs first began because of low work issues. I was certain it was because of my age, 65+. I had no savings so I knew I had to work as SSI wouldn't cut it. I had no other experience in anything and couldn't get an interview to save my life. After about 2 months of daily searching, I was in my local grocery store and I saw the day manager. On a whim, I asked if they were hiring, he said they were always looking for good, dependable people and I told him I was just that. I was interviewed the next day, got hired on the spot for part time for the Deli at minimum wage as I had no experience whatsoever. It was the hardest thing I did because it was physically demanding with lifting, bending, and standing, the complete opposite of what I did for so long. Fast forward about 6 months. A customer came in, we chatted (an aspect of the Deli I love). She told me she was an MT. I said I was too and I missed it terribly. She immediately asked if I would be interested in helping her out from time to time and of course, I said yes. So I transcribe in the a.m., have about 4 hours off and then do my Deli work in the p.m. I consider myself very lucky to be able to do both, as my health is good. I get a workout everyday and also do transcription, which is in my blood. Hang in here, you never know what opportunity will present itself :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)