Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

My reply - mtslavelabor

Posted: Nov 28th, 2016 - 11:44 am In Reply to: Interview with a Medical Transcripionist - Ashley

What prompted you to enter this field? Believed the lies and bs from the big name school I attended. The field is dead and they keep promising a fantastic career and opportunity. They LIE and try to get new grads to tell others how great it is. Some do only because they don't want to admit they spent thousands on a worthless piece of paper.

What is it about medical transcription that you love the most? Nothing now. I consider it a big mistake and waste of money. I urge others at every opportunity to look at other career paths.

What is your least favorite aspect of this job? Since the whole job stank, I guess there was no least favorite. The worst part though was where my home turned into a sweatshop and my email was filled daily with charts, and graphs about how awful our group was doing and how we needed to get our sh*& together or go on performance management and there was the everpresent reminder that every mistake we made was a potential dead patient.

Do you work out of home, within a hospital, or freelance? Out of home for one of the big 3.

What advice would you give to someone wanting to enter this line of work? Run away fast!!! Don't look back and don't believe anything that Transcription Schools tell you. They are trying to scrape the last remaining dollars from a dying field by telling people they can work at home and make a decent wage. No truth in that whatsoever now.

How long did it take you to get to the level of proficiency and accuracy you are at currently? I was at that level the day I graduated from Career Step. But that doesn't matter since crummy employers keep demanding more and MT's don't even have time to think anymore. It's all about more speed and then docking pay for mistakes because of the pressure to fly through reports. You never get ahead and you never catch-up.

How many hours are typically spent transcribing and editing within a day? 8 - 10 hours with barely a few minutes to eat, drink or take a potty break.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)