Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Coding / Medical Billing Today's Top Viewed: Integrity.. (Views: 50)

Coding at 56 - BTDT

Posted: Nov 13th, 2016 - 12:12 pm In Reply to: at age 56 - newbie at coding? - Reality Check

I was laid off from my MT job of 18 years when I was 58 and also thought coding was the solution for me. To be honest, I gave up trying to find a coding job. Even with a credential I had trouble finding another job as almost all employers want experience. For me, more than anything I think it was my age, it's difficult to start over anywhere when a person is pushing 60 and has only done one thing for most of their life. All of that being said, it was still a positive thing. I took a job working in a medical records department and having the knowledge helps almost every day. My experience is that learning to code is difficult. However, if it is something that you really want, I would say to pursue it. You won't need to worry about finding a job that pays well enough, even new coders are paid pretty well. You won't have your own contracts and would probably work for a health care facility or insurance company as a salaried employee. If you are able, try to attend some local AAPC chapter meetings and talk to people who are actively employed. Visit a medical records department at a hospital and speak with the coding manager. Only you can decide if it is worth it for you, employment is not guaranteed for anyone after they leave school, a lot of it is being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people. Later on, if you keep your skills and credentials current, it might be possible to temp. Having the knowledge and education also gives you other peripheral job opportunities. Do what is right for you and don't believe everything you read on Facebook. I hope this helps,those are my thoughts and experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)