Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Another QA response - AUMT

Posted: Oct 13th, 2016 - 5:21 pm In Reply to: Asking QA Editors Questions - happymt

I do both MT and QA work, both of which are paid by the line. I don't mind answering quick, sensible questions.

Unfortunately it doesn't usually work that way. Instead, you get:
- people asking what their "sounds like" word is. But they rarely give complete context and of course nobody else can hear the audio. I've seen critical errors (or guesses) made because of this.
- they start by asking small, simple questions that are quick to answer and then they increase in frequency, complexity and difficulty over time - and while a QA is answering your questions, they're not getting paid.
- MTs start to think that QA stands for "personal research assistant" and want to be spoon fed answers. For a newer MT, it means they never learn to research properly.

Your job as an MT *is* to look things up on your own and if you aren't 100% to send to QA.

Even without my MTSO's instructions, in my team the answer is always "what does your research say?" If MTs message the entire team, we are happy to provide pointers (which help everyone), eg, websites to try, search terms to use, etc, but it's impossible to work if you have someone different buzzing you on IM every few minutes because they want you to do their research for them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)