Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Our overseas counterparts - suffer too

Posted: Aug 26th, 2016 - 11:41 am

I've been reading a lot about how medical transcription jobs have been outsourced overseas, for example, India. I have had several friends that are from India, and they are some of the warmest, most honorable people you will ever meet.  It makes me sad to see that the Indian MTs are in the same predicament. They are paid as poorly, if not more poorly than the US MTs. Not only that, but their country does not have some of the social safety nets that the US has if they lose the job.  That makes them very vulnerable.

However, there is something that they have that we don't have, and it is a huge advantage. They work in offices - together - as a collective. Oh, the power that they have! Not only that but the big companies that have shipped their IT overseas have handed those people the same power.

My hope is that one day, these underpaid workers overseas will do what our isolation prevents us from doing - standing together to demand pay comparable to the knowledge and skill required for what was once a respected career.

I have to admit that from that perspective, I am a little jealous of our overseas counterparts, but if we can't have what we deserve, at least from a humanitarian point of view I hope they can. Who knows maybe it may be the catalyst we need make things better for us too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)