Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Soft Script.. (Views: 60)

My full circle: - s/m

Posted: Aug 16th, 2016 - 6:15 pm In Reply to: Congrats! - MedRecs. sm

My employment cycle started when I was 20 and unemployed. After working many, many short term and temp jobs, and not being happy with them, I went back to school to learn MT. It was a perfect fit, both skills and temperament-wise. I worked onsite for small MTSO's, large MTSO's, a hospital, a small clinic and a large clinic. Between full-time MT and part-time self-employment in a completely unrelated field, I was making about $49K per year in my top earning years.

Later, after I got priced out of the area where I had lived for almost 30 years, I moved to an area with no on-site work possibilities, so I started working for a small out-of-state MTSO with a good reputation. The pay was less, but it was still enough to live on. Then my small company was bought by one of the biggies, and life as I once knew it changed forever. I had gone from self-sufficient, solid middle class to working-poor in less than a year.

After struggling for several years to get a better-paying job - ANY job in any field - I suddenly lucked into another in-house clinic MT job that paid almost as much as I was getting back in the early 2000's. I jumped at it! I loved the office, the co-workers, and most of all, being able to pay my bills again.

Turns out, however, that "job" wasn't permanent, as I'd been led to believe. No, it was just to train speech-wreck software so that they could do away with their MT department entirely. So a little more than half year after I was so lucky to land that job, I was now fully unemployed in my mid-60s.

After that, I was back to being completely unemployed.... a full circle from where I was originally at age 20. I always thought being a good MT would provide for me for a lifetime, well beyond age 65, but I was wrong. What I've learned from all this is that you can't depend on anything, anymore. You have to always be ready to take a hit and be forced to find another way to survive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)
  • Have come full circle - Goodbye MT wages (Views: 937, 2016-08-16, 4:48 pm)
    • Congrats! - MedRecs. sm (Views: 685, 2016-08-16, 4:57 pm)
      • My full circle: - s/m
    • SCARY - Emma (Views: 426, 2016-08-20, 3:06 am)