Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Why should the rotten language skills of the huge number of ESL - dictators fall on MY shoulders??!!

Posted: Jul 14th, 2016 - 9:02 pm

This is another example of costs that are shifted to the MT.  I have years of experience, lots of it with ESL dictators, and just spent nearly an hour dealing with utterly disgraceful dictation in order to produce two small reports.  I made less than 4.00 in that hour, and yet it called for a very high level of transcription expertise and experience in order to produce reports that wouldn't stink up a patient's chart. 

If I worked on-site for an hourly wage, those reports would have cost a lot more, but because I'm paid on a production basis, it doesn't matter to the client or the MTSO whether it takes me 20 minutes or 20 days to produce those reports.

This is what is meant by "cost-shifting" - and YOU AND I ARE BEARING THE COST.

Anyone who has studied quality assurance will tell you that ONE BASIC PRINCIPLE IS THAT THE ENTIRE PROCESS OF PRODUCTION MUST BE MONITORED FOR QUALITY, and yet that is not the case with medical documentation, where NO ONE IS MONITORING THE QUALITY OF THE INPUT STAGE, OR ADDRESSING THE DEFICIENCIES THAT ARISE IN THAT STAGE OF THE PROCESS AND IMPACT EVERY STAGE THAT FOLLOWS.

I'm thoroughly sick of this situation and sick of paying the penalty of dealing with these crappy foreign dictators.  And it's not just their lack of English skills, either.  On top of that, they don't give a damn about their dictation, either, so they don't even dictate to the level of English that they DO know.  They're careless, indifferent and arrogant.  I don't know how they could even order a hamburger at McDonald's.

Add to that the native-speaking dictators who don't give a rip either.  No one is hauling them over the coals for the rotten dictation that they turn in - because it falls on ME, and it falls on YOU.  They make $millions and we can just go suck eggs cleaning up their fecal matter.  In fact, the answer to these crappy dictators is to tell YOU AND ME to refer to their samples, etc. when in some cases we CANNOT EVEN BE SURE THAT WHAT THEY'RE SAYING MATCHES ANYTHING IN THEIR SAMPLES. 

GOD FORBID THAT ANYONE SHOULD TELL THE DOCTOR TO SHAPE UP OR HIRE SOMEONE TO DO HIS DICTATION!!

It's simply become untenable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)