Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Why not bill, your time is valuable too. - Retired MT

Posted: Jun 29th, 2016 - 1:21 am In Reply to: Too bad we can't bill when dictators give us "dead space".... - Southern Belle

I sure do and I put it on my invoice as a listening charge. I let the client know I am going to do this in the first place. In your case, let the client know from know on this is how it is going to be.

Personally, I am not going to sit through 40-50 minutes of whatever because there might be a dictation at the tail end of it, on my own dime. This is a business, I am not donating my time to anybody (except for my family, friends, and my volunteer work.) I am supposed to be retired and if I agree to be tied to my desk doing this, it had better be worth my while. If the client does not like it, he can change his careless ways. He took up my time and he will pay me for it. If he does not want to pay for it, then from that point forward, I will send a note back that the dictation is not listened to, and he can pay his office staff to listen to him tinkle, flush the toilet, and then not wash his hands. But he will pay me for time I took listening to this nonsense. Now since I can speed the dictation up to 300% on my player, I charge 25 cents a minute for dead time (rounded up.) Thus 19-1/2 minutes of blank space merits a fee of $5.00 and it takes me 6.5 to 7 minutes of listening time. During that time, I prepare a note for the client explaining the charge, along with making a notation on the invoice. This compensation is the same as 20 minutes of transcribing, and can add up quickly, if the client continues to be careless -- enough so the client will be more careful in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)