Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Soft Script.. (Views: 62)

Think of it as bettering yourself... - SoCalGal

Posted: Jun 28th, 2016 - 12:33 am In Reply to: EXACTY - Furious MT

I think you only hurt yourself when you refuse to transcribe the more difficult doctors. I, too, started in the early '80s for a teaching hospital and trauma center. We had plenty of ESLs. The majority of them were very considerate and tried to be helpful, but frankly they still had a difficult time were still difficult to transcribe. But we did. That's what we were paid to do. Perhaps if there had been anything like a separate pay scale for ESLs, similar to the extra pay given for anything outside of prime time hours, then this wouldn't even be an issue for discussion. By transcribing them, I learned their idiosyncrasies which, coupled with understanding the subject matter of their dictation, enabled me to eventually get through them quicker each time. By 1986, I had branched off on my own and soon had my own clients. I was more marketable because of my willingness to transcribe the difficult ones. Starting your own business back then was a pretty scary venture. I don't think I'd have lasted too long if I could only transcribe clear-speaking American doctors.

The bottom line is this IS what we are getting paid to do. Like it or not, this is our profession. This does not mean I devalue my time or my profession. Quite the opposite. I also know that I'm more employable, and therefore more valuable, because I don't shy away from ESLs. If there were ever to be a situation where a company would institute a higher pay scale for ESL dictation and you turned down that offer, THEN indeed you'd be doing exactly what you're getting paid to do. Until then, for those who continue to feel slighted by those MTs who leave those difficult jobs for you to handle, think of it as an investment in your future. If you find that company that offers a higher pay scale for ESL, then YOU will be the first in line for that position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)