Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Integrity.. (Views: 52)

You have to read this story- What would you have done? - Miracle MT

Posted: Jun 25th, 2016 - 2:20 pm

I had an English speaking NP doing a dictation.  She was clear through the entire report.  However, she could not say the name of medications at all.

As she was going through the list of medications, she said, "Aderpine 10 mg".  I had never heard of such medication and was also unsure if it was Brand or generic.  So, I start my search.  I looked in drug reference books, checked all over the internet and did not come up with a medication called "Aderpine". Needless to say, I wasted about 20 minutes looking for it.  

So, I checked the patient's past reports.  There was no "Aderpine 10 mg" listed anywhere on the past reports.  I did see "Amlodipine 10 mg"...but I didn't think that was right because this NP was clearly saying "Aderpine" and really stressing the "AD".  NEVER once did she say, "AM"...or even "LOD"....(which would have been more of a help).

So, to be safe, I put a blank.  I could not verify the medication, so I did the right thing and left a blank.

She continued to dictate and said this "aderpine 10 mg" about 10 more times throughout the rest of the report.  Each time, I put a blank.  

I even called a doctor friend of mine and asked her if she had ever heard of "aderpine" and she said no.

I sent the report to QA with 12 blanks. 

Two hours later, I get an email saying I am being written up and put on QA because of this report.  My "Boss" told me that the dictator was saying "Aderpine", but she really meant "Amlodipine" and that it was my responsibility to know what she meant.  I informed my boss that I was not a doctor and I had did not have higher educational training in medicine, and I asked her how she suggested I know what this NP "Meant".  She then told me that I should have figured it out by seeing "Amlodipine" on the past reports.  I told her that I did see the "Amlodipine", but she was not even close in her pronounciation and I was not going to put it down if I was not 100% able to verify it.  She said she didn't care and that I was now on QA.  I should have read the reports and known that the patient needed or was on Amlodipine.  Since when was it my job to determine and know what medications patients need for a particular illness?  Does my ignorant boss not realize that there are more than one medication for each known illness?

Since when were we required to automatically know what these dictators "mean"?  Are we paid to practice inferences?  Is Inference even part of our job description?  Correct me if I am wrong...but I was always told to leave a blank if I was unsure or unable to verify something--especially a medication.  Did something in MTing change that I am not aware of?

What would you have done in this case?

Should I tell me boss where to go and just quit because I really don't think I have the special ability to know what people mean and/or are thinking?  I am not very good at making inferences without some form of evidence.  Why is it that we are always expected to know the unknown things such as a patient's name and information, doctor's name...without spelling or any other information?  We don't get paid enough to be mental magicians.

I hate this job.  I think I will just quit.  I don't deserve to be on QA.  I think that I did the right thing.  

Lastly, why is it me that is being punished for this?  Shouldn't the NP be punished? She is putting the patient in a lot of danger by not being able to say the names of medications.  She said many others incorrectly, but I was able to make them out. You would think that someone with her education and experience in medicine, and being an English speaker, would know how to say the names of simple, common medications.  This NP needs to be fired.  She is putting patients in a lot of danger. 

What would you have done?  

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)