Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

That's dangerous - records

Posted: Jun 21st, 2016 - 7:30 am In Reply to: EHR in the News - Moi

Last time husband was in hospital, I gave them both written and verbal list of his current meds and watched them get typed in the computer. Days later realized they weren't giving him the proper meds. They went off an old list from several years ago! I asked what happened to the list I gave them on admission and nobody knew. I gave a list again, watched it get typed again. Days later found out they were STILL going from the old list. I pitched a total fit at the attending, the resident, anyone who would listen. His medical condition has changed drastically since he was there many years ago, so screwing up the pills could've hurt him or even killed him. It was a neurologic unit. Told his neuro that we'd never go to that hospital again for any reason if they can't handle patient care better than this. I had him checked out by his other docs after release. All the labs were fixable. It's incredible how dependent they are on the stupid computer and have no clue how to operate it!! Two nurses flagged the medicine issue and nobody listened to them either. Nurses need a bigger voice in medical care. The computers need to be programmed to accept new information. Something has to change. Records are supposed to be accurate. We handle things the best we can to provide accuracy. If their computers are being used for electronic "instant record", then they should be certain the programming is perfect. You're right. Somebody is going to die because of things like this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)