Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

You sound like you are maybe in India? Your post - sounds like ESL to me...to offense..really

Posted: Jun 20th, 2016 - 1:17 am In Reply to: HELP- Trying to get into the MT field- work from home - Sierramerch

Today you have to have PERFECT English, perfect grammar, perfect everything, nearly 100% accuracy.

I also want to work from home and have been an MT at home for 12 years; however, I hope you will take all of the posts here seriously. This industry is, for all intents and purposes, dead. If you want or need to make enough money to support yourself and your family, forget being an MT. If you just need pocket change then maybe go for it, like 600-700$ per month USA dollars.

IMHO you CAN NOT WORK AROUND THE KIDS. I have the most wonderful grandchildren; however, they all love me so much and I love them, and they want a "piece of me" and likewise I want to be with them. If you are on a time clock...forget it. You cannot get anything done and cannot meet the strict line requirements with the kids around.

Right now I am not on a time clock and still cannot get much done with the grandkids around. I am missing out on good money when the kids interrupt (all the time...just because they love me)and even when they don't interrupt, I find myself wanting to help them with something or give them a hug, etc, and you cannot do that and make any money.

MT pay has plummeted in the last few years. I am currently making considerably less than I made when I started 12 years ago. Doctors that have NO RIGHT to be on voice recognition are on it. In many cases you are better off erasing the VR and writing the report over, but then you are working for 4 CPL when it should be 8 CPL.

I started at 8 CPL as a newbie, went to 9 CPL 3 years later at a different company, then up to 11.3 cpl when the N. company instigated the "grid" pay system (which they realized was a mistake on their part) so.. they took all my good dictators away and beat me down to minimum wage. I am now working for 7 cpl and 4 for VR and way below minimum wage at yet a different company as an IC when the N made me so miserable I was getting physically sick and had to switch to an IC position at a different company. BTW...this was all while I was at nearly 100% accuracy rate.

MT used to be a very well-paying career. Not any more. It is virtually dead. Yes, a few people may still eek out a living, especially if you can get your own clients and be your own boss, (which involves getting a platform and meeting all HIPAA rules) but most of the facilities are going to EHR (electronic health records) where they are doing their OWN reports. Even though they may not like doing so, it is a federal requirement.

Good luck to you in what you decide, but you would definitely be better off going for any other career. Anything in medical is good, but not MT. If you are currently in a lab or hospital, please take our advice and stay there. You will be way better off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)