Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Tech Help

Can you change your update/upgrade options? - Kind of long-warning. sm

Posted: May 24th, 2016 - 12:52 pm In Reply to: Windows 10 Question - Fay

I have Windows 7. I do not want Windows 10. My current programs are compatible with Windows 7 only. I block Microsoft from automatically downloading or installing any updates or upgrades. I have the boxes checked that say notify me only. Do not download or install anything automatically. I review the updates first and then download/install.

On one of the other MT boards, I posted a heads up note about Windows 7. I discovered that Microsoft had stopped notifying me about necessary updates for Windows 7 and realized that I hadn't done any updates for Windows 7 in MONTHS. When I checked, there were 124 updates waiting to be applied to my system. This started about the time that Microsoft started pushing Windows 10. Now, I have to check manually, every week, for Windows 7 updates. I bought my current system in March 2012, and Microsoft gave consistent notification about pending updates for more than 3 years. Now, they don't, but an icon advertising Windows 10 pops up every week.

On my system, I choose Control Panel, Windows Update, Change Settings. Under Important Updates, I chose "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them." This has worked very well for me.

When I wasn't getting my automatic notifications about Windows 7 updates, I Googled the issue and discovered that not only were other people having the same problem, but that many ended up having Microsoft install Windows 10 on their systems, and they never agreed to it. That's when I checked my settings to make sure that I didn't have anything checked off that would let Microsoft install anything without my permission. If memory serves me correctly, I think the folks on the Internet said that in Windows 8, the option to deny automatic downloads was removed. There were also articles about where Microsoft admitted to glitches in their software that allowed Windows 10 to download onto a person's system without their permission. It was very interesting reading.

A lot of laptop folks were mad because the size of the program ate into their disk space and also ate up allotted bandwidth or something. I have a desktop computer hooked up with Comcast cable cord into the wall, so I couldn't quite understand what they were talking about, but you probably would because you have a laptop.

I know Microsoft wants to get its users onto platforms that result in having to pay for updates, but don't force folks onto it prematurely and don't jeopardize the current systems they have. Supposedly, support for Windows 7 will end on January 14, 2020.

Hope the above helps. Check your settings. Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)