Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Integrity.. (Views: 32)

There are plenty of transcriptionists who would - kill for a hospital job.

Posted: Apr 25th, 2016 - 6:58 pm

Explain to her what it's like to work for a place like Nuance or MM at 4 cents a line, being docked for mistakes that puts pay at less than minimum wage, such as being one digit off on something like platelets, 136,000 versus 137,000 (although I'm not condoning mistakes, they do happen), and having your pay bumped down to less than minimum wage for that for the week. For that one week, all I made was minimum wage, no matter how hard I worked. They do have to "make up" your pay so that it equals minimum wage, however. But if they have to do that too often, they will not give a person the chances you've given this woman, they fire you. Their attitude is that we're a dime a dozen and easily replaceable. Explain to this woman that hospital jobs are now very few and far between. The national transcription companies (Nuance and MM) have bought much of the competition and they can set wages to what they want and everybody other than N or MM has to offer the same low wages just to keep their accounts they are lucky to have. This job, which used to be a great way to make decent money, is now no better than one at Wal-Mart or McDonald's, even though we bring much more to the table than that. But this lady in question apparently doesn't, and she should be made aware of that in no uncertain terms. Ask her to multiply her lines each day times 0.04 each and then divide by eight and see what hourly wage she comes up with as compared to what she presently gets. And as you probably know, these places saying you can go twice as fast with editing as opposed to typing; they are lying. 25% more is more like it, if that (depending on variables, research and looking stuff up, for which we don't get paid). If this lady gets on you about all the experience she has, I happen to know of a pay grid (N) that does not take experience into account at all. They will not pay more for it. As far as I know, they will not pay more for credentials, either. At N, when you start you get exactly on week off (40 hours) for everything that first year--sick leave, annual leave, holidays. See how she likes that. Hospitals usually give you two weeks plus all the holidays (even if you have to take the day off on a different day than the holiday). That's a lot more than just one week.

Therefore, the thing to do is find out what your hospital's protocol and documentation requirements are for firing her. If she's old enough to retire and starts feeling the heat, she'll probably quit before you actually have to get rid of her. Anyhow, you don't have to put up with this. Remember, we're a "dime a dozen." You should be able to find a replacement who won't give you that grief. Sorry to be rude here, but just get rid of her (following what your hospital sets forth as the proper way to do that). Show her this post if you want to. It's rough out here. Let her read this or log onto this board and get an inkling of just how rough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)