Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

confused on IC vs employee/employer status - confused MT

Posted: Apr 21st, 2016 - 1:37 pm

I was wondering if someone could clear up the IC versus employee status confusion for me.  I read the IRS description of which they consider to what (IC or employee), and after reading that I was under the impression that as soon as a company tells you when you will be working (i.e. a specific shift like Mon-Fri), that would constitute employee status, versus when the transcriptionist (you) tell/give the company a schedule, that would constitute IC status, because you set the hours and not them (i.e. I am able work Mon-Fri or I am able to work Mon-Fri 6-3, etc).  The same would go for production/line requirements.  The minute a company "requires" X amount of lines per day or shift or pay period, etc, they become an employer, versus when you tell them I can work or I will work or my schedule will be  i.e. Mon-Fri and I will produce X amount of lines.   

If I am correct in the way I understand the classifications, then why is it that so many companies can post jobs for IC positions, yet they set the schedule/shift and require you to work certain days/hours and/or produce a certain amount of lines ?  I was under the impression the minute they make a stipulation or requirement, they become an employer, thus can't be IC status.  

Am I totally wrong here and totally misunderstanding the IC versus employee/employer classification?  I understand that companies need coverage for certain/all days and hours, etc, I'm not questioning any of that, but I'm wondering how they can hire an "IC" and then stipulate what days and hours you will be working and/or stipulate/require how much (i.e. reports, lines, audio minutes, etc) you will produce, but still call it "IC"?

I really appreciate any and all input/information anyone can give me on that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)