Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Word Help Board

I think OP is correct based on...SM - Old Anon

Posted: Feb 5th, 2016 - 12:42 pm In Reply to: comma punctuation - vh

the BOS rule she cited. This rule goes on to say, "Do NOT use a comma after most introductory adverbs or short phrases that answer the questions, how often, where, and why. They also give the example sentence, Tomorrow we will admit her to Memorial Hospital for tests--which answers the question 'when.' The OP's sentence, There he underwent an echocardiogram.--which answers the question 'where.' Most punctuation rules were formulated based on the written word, long before the spoken word was able to be recorded; therefore, where a pause occurs when a sentence is spoken has no bearing on the application of the punctuation rules. I've noticed a lot of MTs who have a tendency to throw in commas whenever a speaker pauses whether or not one is required based on the rules of punctuation. The rules just do not work that way. When I speak the OP's example sentence, I don't pause after speaking the word 'there.' You could, of course, but it still would not mean a comma belongs there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)