Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Sarasmoma - Old Pro

Posted: Feb 3rd, 2016 - 11:42 am In Reply to: Returning to transcription after 8 year break - Sarasmoma

Since I have been both an MT and MTSO but am 3/4 retired now (thank you, G-d), perhaps I can give you some perspective. You know the old saying--free advice is worth about what you pay for it, so if what I say does not work for you, just ignore me. If I were still in business, I WOULD give you a shot at it, for this reason: You present yourself as a professional person and you have a good background. I would, however, expect that you would work on bringing yourself up to speed on all of the changes, new equipment, etc. There are tons of new medications as well. If you are as intelligent as you appear to be in your message, this will not be a huge problem for you, just a matter of continuing learning, as another poster said. The thing that would attract me to hiring you would be your experience at a teaching hospital. So, yes, there are MTSOs out there who would undoubtedly give you a chance. Just my own personal take on it (and I have a bias because one of the huge companies ate my very small one in the early part of this century, and they did so in a particularly nasty way--they did the same to several other small MTSOs as well.) That, of course, is not your problem, but the character of the large MTSOs is something to consider. At many (most) you will just be a bot. You know, one of those animated creatures that carries out the whims and wishes of the people at the top. If you are used to working with people who care for and about you, you are not likely to get it with a large organization. I am sure there are a couple out there that are exceptions to the rule, but the friends I have who work for the big boys (and you can be sure they are boys) in the corporations are not happy campers. You might find it interesting to wander over to the Nuance and M*Modal boards and read a few posts to get a sense for how their employees feel. I was lucky. A friend of mine was working for a mid sized company and they had an opening come up where they needed someone who could just fill in and be really flexible about it. I wanted something in addition to my Social Security money to use for hobbies, travel, etc., so it was the perfect gig for me. I don't demand X number of lines per day and they don't demand that I sit in my chair and document every time I get up to use the loo. (Yes, that actually does happen with some of the big companies.) So, I got lucky. If you have another source of income in addition to MT, it would be an ideal situation for you to ease back in--find some company that will let you go from part time to full time. Not sure what your personal circumstances are or whether this would be workable for you, but I am finding more and more younger MTs (I am 70) who still do MT but also have a a non MT gig on the side. My bottom line is that I do think you are employable. Just remember, there are tons of MTs out there looking for work, some with 20 years of current experience. The competition is going to be fierce, but I do believe if you keep trying, you will find your niche. I do hope you can find what you are looking for. Good luck!

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)