Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: Integrity.. (Views: 63)

The OP had to apply for welfare - Think about it

Posted: Jan 30th, 2016 - 12:24 pm In Reply to: Suggestion - Coder

Under the circumstances, the OP probably cannot afford coding school. I went to job counseling when I was laid off from MT and the career counselors will steer people away from coding. For them, outsourcing is a concern, but more importantly it is extremely difficult to land a job as a newbie coder and they will all tell people that, even my current employer said that. I didn't believe it and learned the hard way. It might be more realistic to brush up on the basic skills (Excel, etc.) and try for office jobs, maybe medical records, maybe front desk reception or scheduling, maybe even pursue something in patient care such as CNA or MA. When I was unemployed, I needed to get back to work and tried for over a year to get a coding job, I am working as a medical records tech instead. Maybe the OP doesn't want to code and has something else in mind. Steering someone toward something in which they have no interest is a mistake. One thing that the career counselors do is aptitude testing which will give many choices and may send someone down a totally different career path once you recognize your strengths and weaknesses. Coding is not the OPs only choice. The career counselor will also provide resume help. There is no need to try and hide the fact that you were a medical transcriptionist, you need to own that, it is what you did, and that was your job title. If you worked at home for your entire career, that could be a hindrance, however. It gives you an opportunity to explain your skills at interview time. Potential employers can weed through BS on resumes pretty quickly and if you are trying to present yourself as something you are not, that's a problem. My advice would be to meet with the career counselor, take advantage of the training, and let them guide you in the next step regarding employment. FYI, some people think that transcription and coding are one and the same, a lot of employers don't know what coding is either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)