Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Nuance and 3000 more Indian workers. - Tired

Posted: Jan 29th, 2016 - 1:19 am In Reply to: IC v. Employee v. Statutory Employee - MTSOMgr

I think the reason why Nuance is hiring 3000 more workers in India is because they see the handwriting on the wall. Any of us who CAN get different jobs ARE getting different jobs, and it seems to me that there appear to be a few more people who are getting other jobs. The MTs who can are leaving Nuance, and I think there are more leaving all the time.

I think the main reason why MT's have hung around without getting another job is that due to the recent bad economy (that still seems to be going on), it's just been plain hard to get another job. I think quite a few of the MTs are over 50 or 60, which makes it that much tougher to get a different job, due to age discrimination.

I think as time goes on, more and more of us will get jobs outside of the MT field because it is hard, if not impossible, to support oneself on the very poor wages that we now get. I think Nuance has been responsible for this. I think they saw the bad economy back in 2008 to have us right where they wanted us. A poor job is better than no job when you are supporting yourself and/or others. People were and still have been out of work for years. I think hospitals just love that cheap rate and even if they think about how they devastate their in-house transcriptionists financially by dumping them to outsource the work for cheap, they don't really give a crap. It's all money, money, money.

Independent contractors have been illegally tried by companies (hoping they don't get caught) because it's cheaper for the company to hire them (but more expensive for the worker, who not only has no benefits, but has to pay an extra 7% to 8% on the 4 or 4.5 cents a line they do get). These companies are basically exploiting the workers and they have been getting away with it, at least until recently, because when there were no jobs to be had, you put up with a lot more to be able to at least eat and possibly have a roof over your head. You didn't complain, knowing that you would be put out of the only source of money you could get by these unscrupulous employers if you did so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)