Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Tina - Old Pro

Posted: Jan 27th, 2016 - 12:49 pm In Reply to: wow - Tina

I wish we could sit on Venice Beach and have a cup of coffee and talk. I am sorry that you were subjected to such negativity and hurtful comments. (Some of them kind of reminded me of the "mean girls" from high school decades ago.) Anyway, please do not take their comments personally. I think what you/we are seeing is people who are enraged (rightfully so) at what has happened to their profession; the problem is that they are directing their anger at the wrong target. I, too, would like to call up the CEO of whatever MQ morphed into and "thank" him for having essentially squashed not only my own little business but also those of at least six other people I know in California. IMHO, corporations have no conscience. I was fortunate enough that when the final big nasty wave it, I could semi-retire, and now I work for one of those small services that still exists. Its owner specifically asked me to never post its name on here again (I did it once) because it is a fairly small operation and they got hundreds of applications and their HR was not up for handling it all. So I gave them my word I would stay mum about their name. (As it is, they have enough MTs right now and are not in hiring mode, so it would not be helpful to you, anyway.) Congratulations on your daughter! I, too, am adopted. You have a big heart and I so wish that you and your family did not have to go through what the crash and burn of the MT world has put us through. I am old enough (70) that I do not have children to support. I do not know how I would send a child through college in these economic times! I live very simply, try to recycle what I do not need to others, and am content to do that. But I think of younger people on here, people who are getting married, who want to buy their first house, etc. How can anybody qualify for a mortgage with a MT's wages? I certainly could not qualify to buy a house (especially in California) on what I make between SS and my very intermittent MTing. The one ray of hope I would offer you is that many companies other than MT are having home workers. Have you researched jobs at home? There are a lot of scams out there, sure, so you have to be careful. But I have a good friend who got a job as a secretary for a church organization and she works from home doing their secretarial work. I think there ARE jobs where you can work at home--finding them is tricky, but people can do it. Please keep your head up! Know that there IS something out there for you. It may take some hunting, but I think you will find it. Meanwhile, try to remember that most of the people on here are kind. Feel sorry for those who are not kind, because their anger and lashing out is only a symbol of their fear. I have visions of all of us marching into the board room(s) of M*Modal or Nuance and giving them a piece of our collective mind. I am sure that their fat CEOs sitting in their corner offices would just laugh at us, but it would be satisfying to have our say. Well, I have nattered on long enough, but I do want you to know that you are welcome here. I read extensively, and if I read of other work at home opportunities, I would be happy to post them here in the off-chance you will see them. Please don't write us all off!

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)