Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

demoralized and disheartened - after 20-plus years as an MT

Posted: Nov 17th, 2015 - 9:37 pm In Reply to: THE HOLE WE ARE DIGGING - TrxTrixi

Hear, hear. The answer in my mind is a union, but that's no fast answer. I would join a union in a heartbeat if there were one.

It's truly pitiful where this profession has wound up, between among many other things, outsourcing and big MTSO management cheerily trying to convince subcontractors, stepford-wife style, that editing, if done right, can be done 3 times faster than straight transcription, without acknowledging the many variables that go into transcription - bull#$%^! Maybe twice as fast once you have the system trained - maybe. And then there's the new trick of penny-pinching anywhere possible for headers/tokens, spaces, templates. We MTs, it seems,are truly the dregs of the bottom of the bottom line.

I could never recommend this profession to anyone unless they were double income or able to to do this only part time, and even then, would tell them there's a heckuva lot of headache for a LOT less than you could make back in the day. I would warn any new MT to MAKE SURE to ask if they're being paid for spaces, for headers/footers, for templates -- all things that were a given years ago.

Yes, indeed, "what was" is in my thoughts every single day. This is a profession I dearly love and I hope I can always keep my hand in it to some degree, but it may just be time to move on.

Kudos to "humbled," btw, for all your efforts in educating others outside of the profession about this sorry state of affairs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)