Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

More information - OP - wordie

Posted: Oct 3rd, 2015 - 1:05 pm In Reply to: Wordie - More thoughts

Absolutely it is not a situation that would work for everyone, but conversely if it could help just a few, that's a few more people who could find a good fit for themselves.

In my case, I am an IC, so no PTO or benefits. I get health insurance now through the state-run health plan, which is far and away superior to what Nuance offered, which was give us a couple of thousand a year and go out and pay for all your own health services, so that worked out okay, too for me.

As far as covering my expenses while getting up to speed, because I had been looking for another job for a long time, I had conscious socked away both that year's tax refund and some extra money for several months. I also knew I had a good credit line available that I hadn't used for a few years, and while that wasn't a great choice, it was there if needed. Getting out from under the oppression was the most important thing for me.

IC is definitely a transition, but I had done it in the past off and on, so I knew exactly what I needed to do to prepare. I contacted the tax person who had filed my return for me and found out that the fee I had paid entitled me a couple of hours of consultation during the year, which I took advantage of and got everything estimated in terms of quarterly payments. etc.

As far as how long the contract lasts, well it's pretty much identical to working for any MTSO, where you are hired to work on a specific account. If the company keeps getting a renewal, you keep getting work from that account. They are on their third multiple-year renewal at this point and constantly getting more work under each contract.

Hope this helps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)