Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Nuance

Our husbands sometimes see what we can't see - sm

Posted: Sep 28th, 2015 - 2:18 am In Reply to: Conflicted - Anon

Because he saw what this job was doing to me, my dear husband told me to quit several years ago, as did my kids. I didn't listen to them at that time, because MT had been my career and I couldn't imagine doing anything else, so I wanted to make it work! (I had been employed at a hospital, but they closed and outsourced our department, hence I found a job here.) It was a difficult transition, to learn the new software and accounts, and to suddenly have very little human contact, but I didn't want to be a "quitter." So I thought perhaps I just needed to "give it a little more time," and that perhaps I was just "a little slow" in getting used to working for an internet company instead of on-site, and that eventually, I'd "surely" be able to type faster, do better, work smarter, and pump my wage back up again (my hospital paycheck had been twice as much). Thankfully, I admit the problems you are experiencing with TSM/QC only infrequently occurred, but even without those issues, I finally came to the realization that nothing was going to change. It has been very unhealthy mentally, and even physically. I'd always done exceptionally well at any MT position I had held over the past 25 years...UNTIL I GOT HERE. It took all the wind out of my sails and I've been a wreck, even to the point of seeing a therapist. I'd be lying if I said I was happy to be leaving MT work, but that is what it has finally come down to, if I am to get back any feelings of self-worth again and get back to a "normal life" -- which other people seem to be living, but which I'm having trouble even remembering! I hope to have a new job soon, but have set a Quit Date no matter what. If only I'd decided this sooner!
PS - I have a friend who is also an MT. She had the exact same experience, working for another MTSO! Her husband and kids too were urging her to quit, but she resisted. She is an exceptional MT and a terrific lady, but was treated terribly by her company. Finally she quit and took a job in a doctor's office. Now she wonders why she didn't do it sooner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)